Early Childhood Educator/Lead Teacher
*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers.*
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine | Department of Psychiatry, ARTS
Early Childhood Educator/Lead Teacher (Early Childhood Educator I)
Position #708504 - Requisition 12891
ARTS has an opening for a full-time, University Staff (unclassified) Early Childhood Educator/Lead Teacher (Early Childhood Educator I) position.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
This class describes the early childhood educator. Duties include, but are not limited to, writing daily lesson plans for educational and recreational activities for assigned children or classes in accordance with center guidelines and developmentally appropriate techniques. Daily lesson plans may include activities in arts and crafts, music and dance, reading and storytelling, recreation, field trips, and related child care activities appropriate to the children's ages. Positions interact with supervisors and parents in dealing with the needs of ill children or children with behavioral problems. Positions may also conduct or oversee the serving of meals and snacks, maintaining safety and sanitation standards, and assisting children with a variety of tasks as requested by the child. The Early Childhood Educator I differs from the Child Care Aide on the Decision Making, Complexity, and Purpose of Contact factors.
The Baby Haven Child Care and Early Education Center located in Southwest Denver (Hampden and Federal) is seeking applications for a full-time, University Staff (unclassified) Early Childhood Educator/Lead Teacher (ECT). This ETC will provide direct child care to children and supportive services to families by meeting all other children's needs and engaging families in expanding their knowledge about early care and education. This role will be responsible for: providing an enriching learning environment for infants, toddlers and preschoolers; providing cognitive, physical, and social and emotional development; following all agency child care, licensing and quality standards; providing developmentally appropriate play to children; following curriculum guidelines; coordinating services with early intervention and ancillary providers; collaborating with The Haven treatment team regarding about issues related to a child's health or parenting/behavioral concerns; collaborating with community partners such as CPP, DPP, ELV, DECC, etc.; and performing other duties that are assigned or required. This position also provides daily, weekly, and quarterly feedback to all families through face to face meetings, family conversations, and quarterly developmental updates.
The Baby Haven Child Care and Early Education Center located in Southwest Denver (Hampden and Federal) is state-of-the-art childcare facility offering the highest quality of care and educational services. As a licensed and Qualistar rated center, the Baby Haven provides care to children ages 6 weeks through 5 years and is open Monday through Friday from 6 am to 6 pm. Services are provided to children throughout the Denver Metro Area as well as to families associated with Addiction Research and Treatment Services.
The Baby Haven provides a rich, nurturing environment for children's cognitive, social, and emotional and physical growth. Baby Haven children are respected, and our teachers and staff work in partnership with families to nurture each child and assist them in meeting their unique potential.
The Baby Haven seeks a full-time, University Staff (unclassified) Early Childhood Educator. Schedule varies M-F 6am-6pm. Must also be able to attend:
- Evening teacher in-services (minimum once a month)
- Evening family partnerships as needed
- Saturday in-service or family partnership (minimum quarterly)
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position has been established at $29,120. This position is eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- Must be at least 18 years of age at the time of application.
- Must be Early Childhood Teacher qualified under current State of Colorado Child Care Licensing standards.
- Experience providing classroom care for toddlers and preschoolers.
- Have successfully completed Introduction to Early Child Education (ECE), Guidance Strategies or Pyramid Plus training, plus an ECE class or actively taking an ECE class.
- Verifiable experience in a licensed preschool program.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must agree to a medical examination including chest X-ray or tuberculin test.
- Must be able and willing to lift 35 pounds repeatedly and on a daily basis.
- Be able to walk, squat/kneel, sit on floor, lift and lower children into and out of cribs and changing tables see, hear, speak with children to ensure children's health and safety.
- Must be able to smell and taste food.
- Willing and able to support early intervention services such as behavioral plans, Individual Family Service Plans, Individual Education Plans in any classroom
- Willing and able to participate in and successfully complete on-going training and education in the ECE field.
- Must agree to fingerprinting and criminal background check. Required background checks include a review with the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) AND the Central Registry of Child Protection (Trails).
- Subject to pre-employment, post-accident or incident or reasonable suspicion drug and alcohol testing per UCD Addiction Research and Treatment Services Department Policies.
- In accordance with the Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA), ARTS cannot employ individuals (who may have contact with residents) who have (1) engaged in sexual abuse in a prison, jail, lockup, community confinement facility, juvenile facility, or other Institution (as defined in 42 U.S. C. § 1997); (2) been convicted of engaging or attempting to engage in sexual activity in the community facilitated by force, overt or implied threats of force, or coercion, or if the victim did not consent or was unable to consent or refuse; or (3) been civilly or administratively adjudicated to have engaged in the activity described in (1-3) of this section. Material omissions regarding such misconduct, or the provision of materially false information, shall be grounds for termination.
- Experience using Creative Curriculum and/or Teaching Strategies Gold.
- Experience working in a licensed and Qualistar rated or Colorado Shines Program.
- Experience with data entry using Microsoft Office programs.
- Experience providing services to low income families or at risk children with a focus on women's issues (i.e. trauma; domestic violence; mental health treatment; substance use disorder; parenting and child development; barriers women experience in treatment such as childcare, employment, finding a job that pays enough to support their family; etc.).
Competencies/Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of child development and age-appropriate expectations for young children 6 weeks through 5 years of age.
- Ability to stay calm in all situations and to respond to children in a quiet, reassuring manner.
- Ability to adapt, adjust and/or modify activities to meet the developmental needs of each child.
- Ability to successfully implement new rules, policies and procedures into daily work routine.
- Ability to develop healthy relationships with children and families.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Required Application Materials: To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers and attach: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV/resume 3. List of three to five professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references) 4. Transcripts or certificates showing ECE class and grades earned 5. Letters of hours worked in licensed care Questions should be directed to: ARTS.BabyHaven@ucdenver.edu
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Application Deadline: Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Review of applications will begin immediately, and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Administrative Support and Related
Primary Location: Denver
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20280 - SOM-PSYCH-ARTS SP/G
Posting Date: Mar 12, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: ARTS.BabyHaven@ucdenver.edu
Posting Contact Email: ARTS.BabyHaven@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00708504