Legal Clinic Administrative Assistant II
This position provides administrative support to the Legal Assistant/Clinic Manager. Under the direction of the Legal Assistant/Clinic Manager, the position also provides administrative support to faculty members teaching in the Clinical Program and student attorneys enrolled in the Program. The position has some responsibility for interacting with members of the public who call, or stop into, the Clinical Program. The position requires the ability to be interrupted regularly and to be able to adjust to changing requests and re-prioritizing of tasks. The position requires teamwork and coordination, and the ability to work independently after receiving instructions. Because the position supports the legal services provided by the Clinical Program, it requires an unwavering ability to protect and preserve confidential information. The position utilizes several kinds of technology, including some software that is unique to the provision of legal services.
Who we are:
We are an engaged, diverse, and inclusive community of students, faculty, staff, and alumni who help one another succeed. Our selective admissions process keeps our student body small, enabling our faculty, staff, alumni, and community to invest deeply in each student's success. Because we take our responsibility to educate and train future lawyers very seriously, our curriculum, research centers, and experiential learning opportunities are designed to prepare students for success in today's changing legal environment.
What your key responsibilities will be:
General Administrative Support
- Provides general administrative support to the Legal Assistant/Clinic Manager, faculty, and student attorneys, including assistance with document preparation, photocopying, scanning, and faxing.
- Ensures that the Clinical Program physical space is organized and appropriately set up to receive clients and members of the public.
- Assists with events and logistical planning.
- Must be able to manage multiple, ongoing tasks, and to be able to calmly respond to interruptions and adjustments to priorities.
- Must be able to work independently once tasks are explained and assigned, and have good judgment about when to seek additional advice and guidance from a supervisor.
Technical Support Related to Law Practice Management
- Under the direction of the Legal Assistant/Clinic Manager, provides support related to the smooth and effective operation of a law office.
- Works with the Clinical Program's law practice management technology related to maintaining confidential information for the Clinical Program's cases and projects.
- Generates law practice management reports required by the Legal Assistant/Clinic Manager or faculty.
Financial Management and Procurement
- Under the direction of the Legal Assistant/Clinic Manager, uses Concur to prepare expense reports and reimbursement for faculty and student attorneys, makes travel arrangements, and works with other reimbursements for non-University persons.
- With the approval of the Legal Assistant/Clinic Manager, uses Marketplace to procure office supplies, equipment, or other miscellaneous purchases related to operating the Clinical Program.
Engage with Members of the Public
- Engages with members of the public who call the Clinical Program or come into the Clinical Program office seeking legal advice and guidance.
- Communicates and listens with care and respect, and attempts to provide appropriate referral information if available and relevant.
- Has the ability to comfortably, patiently and effectively work with a diverse range of people, and with people who may have physical or mental health challenges.
What we can offer:
The anticipated starting salary for this position is $30,000
What you should know:
This is a full-time, academic year position, which runs from August to May of each year.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be Adaptable. Be Proactive. Be Supportive. Be Boulder.
What we require:
- 2 years prior experience working in an office.
- Appropriate education will substitute for the required experience on a year-for-year basis.
What you will need:
- Must be culturally competent.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Positive, enthusiastic, confident, and collaborative personality.
- Strong organizational skills, keen attention to detail, and ability to prioritize and plan ahead while remaining adaptable to change.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks.
- Discretion in handling sensitive information and maintaining confidentiality.
What we'd like you to have:
- Associate's Degree.
- Prior working experience in a legal setting.
- Prior working experience with Microsoft Office software suite, and with law practice management software.
- Familiarity with the University's Concur and Marketplace systems.
- Licensed as a Colorado Notary, or eligible to be licensed.
Preferred qualifications may be used to further reduce the pool of applicants to those who are most highly qualified.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Please apply by May 20, 2018.
If you have technical difficulties submitting application information, please contact the CU Careers help desk at [email protected]. All other job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact for this posting.
Click here to view Special Instructions and General Information for Veterans and Classified Staff positions.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting at www.cu.edu/cu-careers:
1. A current resume.
Must include date ranges and whether full time or part time work.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
3. DD-214 for veteran applicants.
4. If using the educational substitution for experience: proof of degree or transcripts.
Please combine materials into one document and upload as titled: Last-First-13500.
Please do not upload references at this time. Special instructions and information for Classified Staff positions: www.cu.edu/cu-careers:
Job Category: Administrative Support and Related
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10352 - School of Law
Posting Date: May 11, 2018
Closing Date: May 20, 2018, 10:59:00 PM
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00745424