Assistant Director of Design and Identity
Hyde Park Campus
71684 UChicago Creative
About the Unit
UChicago Creative is the in-house agency at the University of Chicago. Like the community we're part of, we are a team of creative thinkers who thrive on challenges and excel at producing innovative solutions.
Our expertise spans strategic assessment and brand positioning to creative direction and development to production and distribution. We partner with departments and units across campus to create communications that reach their goals while advancing the University's reputation.
We capture the voice and vision of the University through a variety of media, including print, photography, video, and digital media. We address a full spectrum of creative challenges and develop solutions that may include a simple postcard to a fully integrated marketing campaign
- Produces University-wide communications, spanning print, multimedia, digital, and experiential marketing; Implements design across platforms, from print to web, digital, and social media
- Coordinates with partner departments so projects are conceived and carried out according to the highest professional standards
- Ensures projects are conceived and carried out according to the highest professional standard by guiding staff and freelance designers to ensure the highest quality and adherence to identity
- Maintains the University's unifying visual identity standards and advises on brand standards for client departments who hire UChicago Creative as marketing consultants
- Ensure standards by reviewing and creative directing projects produced by UChicago Creative for adherence to brand standards and to professional design standards in general.
- As part of the University's licensing review process, ensures identity compliance for new merchandise in collaboration with the Bookstore and Campus and Student Life by
- Reviewing merchandise for brand compliance, as submitted through Learfield, Inc., the University's Licensing
- Work with Learfield to reach out to licensing violators
- Make recommendations for merchandise that does not meet brand standards
- Works in partnership with UChicago Creative Senior Staff and Executive Director to meet client needs, address client concerns, set tone and expectations for office.
- Superb design skills and proven ability to interpret and apply branding standards.
- A high level of responsibility, maturity, design and communication skills, and the ability to work well with, and relish, a variety of subject matter and client personalities.
- Thorough familiarity with the tools of graphic design and publications production on an Apple Macintosh system, specifically Adobe CS/CC; familiarity with MSWord and PowerPoint a plus. Excellent knowledge of best practices and technical trends within an evolving digital landscape required with a strong understanding of web development and other digital applications.
- Close familiarity with the University of Chicago brand a major plus.
- Willingness to assume responsibility and make decisions at a high level and under deadline pressure.
- Ability to establish strong working relationships with others, including partner departments and a wide variety of clients and vendors.
- Demonstrated capacity to multitask in fast-paced work environment, maintain schedules, and meet deadlines.
Education, Experience, and Certifications:
- Undergraduate degree in graphic design required; advanced degree preferred
- A minimum of eight years experience as a designer in a marketing communications department
- Higher education experience preferred
All required documents must be submitted to be considered for this position
Resume, Cover Letter, and Reference list
NOTE: When applying, all required documents MUST be uploaded under the Resume/CV section of the application
Depends on Qualification
Scheduled Weekly Hours
Job is Exempt?
Drug Test Required?
Does this position require incumbent to operate a vehicle on the job?
Health Screen Required?
Remove from Posting On or Before
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via Applicant Inquiry Form.
The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: http://securityreport.uchicago.edu. Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.
The University of Chicago is an urban research university that has driven new ways of thinking since 1890. Our commitment to free and open inquiry draws inspired scholars to our global campuses, where ideas are born that challenge and change the world.
We empower individuals to challenge conventional thinking in pursuit of original ideas. Students in the College develop critical, analytic, and writing skills in our rigorous, interdisciplinary core curriculum. Through graduate programs, students test their ideas with UChicago scholars, and become the next generation of leaders in academia, industry, nonprofits, and government.
To learn more about the university click here http://www.uchicago.edu/