Facility Security Officer (part-time/temporary)
Job no: 494330
Position Type: Staff Part Time
Benefit Status: Non-Benefited – Non-Union
Campus: UMass Lowell
Department: Res Admin & Inst Compliance
Salary: Hourly rate based on experience
Applications Open: May 11 2018
Applications Close: Open until filled
General Summary of Position:
The Facility Security Officer (FSO) is responsible for all security required processes for a small classified research facility with approximately 20 staff at the University of Massachusetts Lowell. The FSO will be a direct report to the Director of the Office of Institutional Compliance or the Associate Vice Chancellor for Research Administration and Institutional Compliance. The FSO must be a U.S. citizen and possess and maintain an active security clearance at the Secret level. The FOS will also serve as a Key Management Personnel for a Department of Defense classified facility. The candidate must be familiar with the National Industrial Security Program Operating Manual (NISPOM) and all related security processes and DSS requirements related to security oversight.
- Oversee and manage the development and administration of the security program
- Provide security oversight and incident reports to Department of Security Services (DSS)
- Brief other key university Administrators and Key Management Personnel as necessary
- Keep up to date with training requirements as outlined by DSS and the NISPOM
- Process and manage secret security clearances and applications for clearances
- Ensure the Facility Security Plan is followed and reviewed and updated as necessary
- Conduct semi-annual self-inspections, identify threats or weaknesses, and revise policies and processes to reflect outcomes and meet security requirements
- Conduct monthly random security inspections of the personnel assigned to the facility
- Provide initial security briefings, periodic briefing, debriefings, and organize and provide classified and unclassified training for all cleared personnel, including Key Management Personnel
- Audit and monitor physical security routinely to ensure security controls are adequate to protect personnel and property and evaluate effectiveness.
- Report suspicious activities and findings to DSS and investigate problems as necessary to avoid any security breaches.
- Prepare materials for security reviews, inspections, required forms, and miscellaneous reports for DSS as required
- Implement and oversee Insider Threat Awareness Training Program, provide briefings and share information across departments as necessary
- Maintain confidential records related to personnel clearances, classified visits, and facility security
- Assess possible security violations, report to DSS, and initiate measures to correct deficiencies
- Brief all personnel of changes in security conditions at the facility
- Use various specific software to process clearance applications (JPAS and e-QIP) as well as to access other government databases related to cleared facilities
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- BS/BA degree in behavioral/social sciences, security administration, information systems technology or other related field, or equivalent level of professional experience
- Prior experience as a FSO with successful DSS Security Vulnerability Assessment
- 5 years of experience in industrial security with demonstrated understanding of the NISPOM
- Working knowledge of security databases (JPAS, e-QIP, eFCL, NCAISS, ISFD)
- Proficiency in personnel security; document control; visitor control; DD-254s; security education and awareness; physical security; contract information release/disclosure; security investigations and audits
- Possess excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills with ability to communicate with all levels of staff, management, and Government agency representatives
- Ability to manage change, anticipate issues, and efficiently resolve them
- Ability to operate effectively in a high integrity environment
- Training Certification as a Facility Security Officer
PLEASE NOTE: Given the nature and responsibilities of the position, only U.S. persons (any individual who is a citizen of the United States, a permanent resident alien of the United States, or a protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C.1324b(a)(3)) will be considered for this position.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
This is a part-time, non-unit, non-benefited position.
Initial review of applications will begin immediately and continue until position is filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applicants are received.
Please include a resume and cover letter with your application. Names and contact information of three references will be required at the time of application.
The University of Massachusetts Lowell is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action, Title IX employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age over 40, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, or other protected class.