Montclair State is New Jersey's second largest university. It offers the advantages of a large university - a broad undergraduate curriculum with a global focus, a wide variety of superior graduate programs through the doctoral level, and a diverse faculty and student body - combined with a small college's attention to students.
Posting Date May 11, 2018
Position Title Procurement Specialist
Vacancy # V-1487
Department Finance and Treasury
Division Treasury And Finance
Reporting to the Director of Construction Procurement and Accounting, the Procurement Administrator has the responsibility to execute in a professional manner the acquisition of all materials, repairs and operations, and construction services for capital projects required by the Facilities Division.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES :
- Is responsible for the purchase of MRO and construction services; reviews complex purchasing requisitions, prepares bid documents, analyzes proposals received from bidders, and recommends and executes the award of contracts in accordance with New Jersey statutes, and Montclair State University's Procurement Policies and Procedures.
- Analyzes procurement history data and makes recommendations regarding appropriate methods for accomplishing effective purchases and cost savings where applicable.
- Reviews and revises existing specifications, as well as provides assistance in the preparation of new specifications for the Facilities Division.
- Conducts pre-bid meetings with bidders concerning RFP's relative to the bidding process and/or contract execution which include vendors and internal stakeholders. Must be able to explain the project, timeline and requirements in detail. Attend construction project site meetings as needed.
- Conducts bid reviews and analyzes technical information accompanying bids to determine specification compliance as well as ensuring all required documentation accompanies the bid. After completion of bid review, develops required internal documentation and presents recommendation to award to the Director of Construction Procurement and Accounting.
- Drafts the necessary contracts and tracks expiring contracts for renewal and/or rebid.
- Will be responsible for the approval of purchase requisitions for materials, repairs and operations, and construction projects. Specifically, check descriptions and specifications for adequacy and accuracy, required quotes and consult with departments if further information is required. In addition, responsible for investigating and resolving issues, concerns or problems with orders. All issues are then communicated to the Director of Construction Procurement and Accounting.
- Assists in monitoring contractors, including the review and audit of change orders and general conditions that impact the project completion. Attend construction project site meetings as required.
- Consults with Facilities Division to review their existing and anticipated requirements, and provides assistance and recommendations.
- Knowledge of market price commodities. Communicates information to departments as requested. Maintains updated information from trade journals, catalogs and other materials to determine market price conditions.
- Performs spend analysis of MRO procurements, suppliers and receipts through the use of PeopleSoft reports to prepare recommendations for future procurements and processes.
- Maintains complete understanding of the University's Procurement Policies and Procedures as well as all local, state and federal laws and regulations.
- Conducts periodic review of supplier/contractor performance and provides necessary supplier performance reports to management.
- Interview sales persons, attend supplier fairs and meet with suppliers concerning their products and/or services.
- Employ Financial Management System reports to identify commodities which may be contracted under a State of New Jersey Contracts, Government Service Contracts (GSA), or nationally recognized, government sponsored cooperative contracts.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Management retains the right to add or change job duties at any time.
Qualifications & Requirements
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's Degree. A minimum of five (5) years of experience in the procurement process in a large organization. Specific knowledge as it pertains to specification development and Request for Proposal preparation for materials, repairs and operations and construction projects through the public bid process, contract preparation and administration. In addition, familiarity with construction management. Excellent written and oral skills are imperative. Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint. The ability to comprehend, analyze and interpret purchase regulations and apply them to specific situations.
Knowledge of New Jersey procurement statutes and regulations preferred.
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
When creating your profile, you will need to combine your resume and cover letter into one single document (PDF or MS Word).
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION