Vice President, Financial Planning & Analysis
The successful candidate will provide leadership and coordination of company financial planning, and budget management functions.
This individual is responsible for driving the financial planning and budgeting operations of the university. The key responsibilities of this role include and are not limited to the production of periodic financial reports and memos, ensuring financial goals and objectives are met and communicated, and monitoring the overall financial performance by measuring results, managing the annual planning and quarterly forecasting cycle, and evaluating budgets.
This leader will partner with the VP of Finance and Controller and other corporate departments to support financial process improvements, advise operational leaders regarding the impact of any decisions on overall financial stability and P&L, and conduct internal and external benchmarking to support metrics-based decisions.
- Direct and coordinate WGU financial planning, and budget management functions
- Direct financial strategies, analysis, forecasting and budget management
- Create financial plans as defined by Board of Trustees and Chief Financial Officer
- Assist the President and CFO with long term financial projections, strategic planning, capital budgeting
- Assist with proposals for new projects and ventures as determined appropriate by the President and CFO
- Recommend benchmarks for measuring the financial and operating performance
- Monitor and analyze monthly operating results against budget
- Manage the preparation of financial outlooks and financial forecasts
- Ensure compliance with local, state, and federal budgetary reporting requirements
- Work with department managers to develop five year business plans
- Assist in establishing short- and long-range departmental goals, objectives, policies, and operating procedures
- Design, establish, and maintain an organizational structure to effectively accomplish the departments goals and objectives
- Serve on planning and policy-making committees
- Represent the company externally to government agencies, auditors, and the general public
- Recruit, train, supervise, and evaluate department staff
- Understand and lead WGU people leadership policies and practices
- Strong analytical, problem solving and strategic thinking skills
- Knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting, and cost control principles.
- Knowledge of automated financial and accounting reporting systems.
- Knowledge of federal and state financial regulations
- Ability to analyze financial data and prepare financial reports, statements and projections
- Working knowledge of short and long term budgeting and forecasting, rolling budgets, and product-line profitability analysis.
- Superior oral and written communication skills, oriented towards detail, thoroughness and accuracy
- Small and large project/program orientation
- Ability to motivate teams to produce quality materials within tight time-frames and simultaneously manage several projects
Demonstrates these principles in the achievement of objectives:
Student Obsession Everything we do and every decision we make starts with our students. Keep our mission core to all our decisions and never lose sight of the end goal. Every day, strive to live up to the WGU Promise.
Ownership Act on behalf of the university and care for students as if they were family. Think long term, and take accountability for actions and responsibilities. Operate at all levels. Never say, “that’s not my job.”
Execution and Achieves Results: Focused on results, not just activity. Exceptional skill and demonstrated success in delivering and improving results in a higher education senior leadership role. Strong bias for, and practical experience in, measuring and improving student experience.
Managerial Courage: Willing to tackle difficult topics and conventional thinking in a respectful and productive manner; don’t hold anything back that needs to be said.
Earn Trust Genuinely listen, speak directly, and treat others with respect no matter what their position or professional level. Be sincerely open-minded and examine even the strongest convictions with humility. Know we must earn our reputation every day.
- MBA preferred or a Master’s Degree in Finance, Accounting or CPA with strong Accounting experience
- At least 10 years of experience in a mid to senior level financial planning & analysis position.
- Experience with mid to large revenue companies of at least 200m+ annual revenue is required.
Salt Lake City, Utah, United States