The University of Miami Facilities Operations & Planning Division is seeking an Accountant. The Accountant is responsible for the accounting, verification and approval of Facilities Operations & Planning financial transactions and assists in the preparation of financial reports. May supervise support staff and student employees. Assists departmental administrators with the preparation of budgets, and all accounting related activities within the Department in support of Facilities Operations & Planning operations. Liaison on financial transactions and insures the appropriateness thereof.
This position requires excellent customer service, communications and interpersonal skills. Must be professional, responsive, reliable, and exceed customer expectations, exemplifying the University of Miami’s Common Purpose, DIRECCT Values, and Service Standards.
Reporting Relationship: Manager, Accounting
• Apply principles of accounting to maintain accounting systems and financial information in support of the Real Estate and Facilities functions. Functions include but not limited to the following:
-Maintain Profit and Loss statements for Facilities Operations & Planning Departments
-Maintain accounts and provide financial report and billing records for interdepartmental transactions
-Prepare journal entries
-Complete accounts reconciliation
-Complete sales tax reconciliation
-Review vendor invoices/identify and resolve discrepancies
-Audit performance and ensure compliance with established internal controls
-Maintain inventory of parking permits
• Prepare and review analytical reports (Analytical reports defines that the accountant is analyzing the data, not only compiling the data. Frequency varies; it may be weekly, monthly , even annual reports, AND accountant may provide recommendations)/graphs including, but not limited to the following:
-Outside Services Spend Analysis
-Fuel Trend Analysis
• Assist with special projects in support of Facilities Operations & Planning as required by the Vice President of Facilities Operations & Planning. Special projects from Vice President account for approximately 10% of accountant’s time
• May have responsibilities involving knowledge and application of University policies and procedures related to the operation of Facilities Operations & Planning
• Prepares financial reports for Facilities Operations & Planning Departments
Education, Experience & Knowledge:
• Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution with major course work in accounting, finance or related field of study.
• Two to five years effective and relevant direct experience; any appropriate combination of relevant education and/or experience will be considered.
• Must have excellent communication skills; both verbal and written.
• Ability to analyze and report findings in clear, complete, and logical form.
• Ability to use independent judgment, within established guidelines, in the course of undertaking assigned responsibilities.
• Ability to identify internal controls enhancements and other process improvement opportunities.
• Ability to organize work, set priorities, meet deadlines, and complete assignments with minimal supervision.
• Knowledgeable basic accounting systems/applications for accounting functions.
• Knowledgeable of accounting, auditing, financial forecasting and budgeting principles and practices.
• Must have a high level of proficiency in the use of MS Office, including Word, Excel and other related applications.
1. Sedentary (10 lbs. maximum)
2. Light (20 lbs. maximum)
3. Medium (50 lbs. maximum)
4. Heavy (100 lbs. maximum)
5. Very Heavy (100 lbs. plus)
Stair Climb Little
Hand/Fingers Dexterity High Degree
Feel/Touch High Degree
Near Acuity Frequent
Far Acuity Frequent
Depth Perception Little
Color Vision Little
Field of Vision Little
Apply online at www.miami.edu/careers
Position #: P00018257
The University of Miami is home to some of the brightest minds in the world. We are committed to educating and nurturing students, creating knowledge, and providing service to our community and beyond. The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental benefits, tuition remission, vacation, paid holidays and much more. The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Come join us!]]>