Chief of Police
Working Title: Chief of Police
Position Type: University Managerial and Professional Staff
Department: University of Virginia Police Department
Posting Date: 05-10-2018
The Chief of Police serves as the principal administrator in planning, directing, and managing the comprehensive law enforcement and administrative components of the University of Virginia Police Department, an internationally accredited and full-service law enforcement agency. Reporting directly to the Associate Vice President for Safety and Security, the Chief of Police will assume a wide range of responsibilities including directing and administering the overall policing initiatives of the campus community and medical center communities. S/he will develop and implement effective crime prevention strategies including a comprehensive community-oriented policing program.
The Chief of Police will work closely with other Campus Safety and Security leaders to administer a community-centered law enforcement and security program that focuses on education, safety and enforcement of University policies as they support and correspond with the University's mission. This position includes administrative responsibilities for the department's budget; timely and accurate reporting in compliance with local, state, and federal regulations; and higher education guidelines including the ongoing requirements of the Department of Education/Clery Act.
The Chief of Police will have opportunities for leadership and success in many areas, including the following:
- Directs the administration, planning and organization of the University of Virginia Police Department which includes comprehensive police and security operations.
- Works with individual police department unit leaders to develop rules, regulations, policies and procedures that govern the operations of the UVA Police Department and are compliant with CALEA (Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies) professional standards.
- Makes decisions relative to emergency conditions not governed by established policies and procedures.
- Works collaboratively with key university and community stakeholders on law enforcement, security and public safety issues.
- Maintains a high degree of visibility and will represent the police department on campus, in the local community and serve a central role in establishing and maintaining strong collaborative relationships with university constituents and local, regional, state, and federal law enforcement agencies.
- Analyzes current police and security operations and services and develops strategic plans for optimizing those services to meet the demands of stakeholders.
- Provides oversight of any planning and research functions to include the development of written directives to ensure compliance with laws and regulations of local, state, and federal government agencies; law enforcement accreditation; and University of Virginia policies.
- Oversees the annual budget preparation and administration of the UVA Police Department.
For more information, please visit: https://executivesearch.virginia.edu/search/chief-police
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Proven success in working with stakeholders with diverse backgrounds, including students, parents, faculty and staff in University and Medical Center settings. Proven success in the recruitment, development and retention of diverse workforce units.
E-mail a Friend: jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=84574