PM Banquet Captain
University of Colorado Denver
CU South Denver location
PM Banquet Captain
Position #2675 - Requisition 13561
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
University of Colorado South Denver is leading the way in offering market responsive educational programming in the fast-growing South Denver metro area. Designed for the community, CU South Denver enriches the lives and minds of ambitious achievers through applied learning experiences, educational activities and high-quality curriculum. CU South Denver is the University of Colorado's only location providing programming and expertise from all four CU campuses (Anschutz Medical Campus, Boulder, Denver and Colorado Springs). CU South Denver's facility includes technology-equipped classrooms, an art and natural history museum, event rental spaces and a world-class catering department. CU South Denver also aligns with business industries and community leaders to develop talent for workforce success. Located one mile east of I-25 along Lincoln Ave. in Lone Tree.
This position supports the needs of all constituents at the University of Colorado South Denver and works primarily on our Events team. The Banquet Captain oversees functions as assigned by the Event Operations Manager.
This position requires a high level of customer service skill, knowledge of event management and professional approach. The Banquet Captain is an as needed up to 40 hours per week position and will primarily be assigned to the PM shift. However, this position may also be required to occasionally work AM shifts.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Direct the service of food, setup and tear down functions according to Banquet Event Order (BEO) assigned by the Event Operations Manager and assist in service of functions as required.
- Supervise the front of house making sure food is presented neatly, served on time, all functions are coordinated properly, and all functions are cleared and cleaned.
- Supervise and assist in training all banquet service and set-up staff.
- Coordinate communication between service staff and Event Operations Manager.
- Supervise and assist with the set-up and teardown of function rooms to include placement of linens, silver, china and glassware according to event order specifications.
- Assign servers responsibilities for set-up and break down for all events, based on instructions set forth in BEO.
- Perform a pre-shift meeting, to personnel, before all events.
- Ensure all staff is in proper uniform and are properly groomed.
- Carry out the standard operating procedures of service and maintain high levels of cleanliness.
- Ensure customer satisfaction by communicating with the host throughout the event regarding any changes, substitutions or special requests, assisting banquet staff as needed and following up with host at the end of event. Manage revenue by tracking any additional charges incurred at the event.
- Strictly adhere to sanitation, safety and alcohol beverage control policies including regulations serving alcoholic beverages to minors and serving intoxicated guests.
- Oversee tear down and closing procedures including protecting and storing equipment and decorations, inspect the room and back of house areas to ensure the areas are cleaned at the end of each function.
- Respond to operational and/or guest issues when necessary, ensuring proper follow through with appropriate manager(s),
- Complete end of shift communication via a mandatory Captain's report after every event.
- Communicate effectively with line level staff by giving direction, support, timely feedback and recognition of performance.
- Present and maintain an organized, positive, and welcoming environment for all CU Denver South constituents.
- Participate in organized training and meetings to learn new aspects related to the job and retain current information on CU, events, and general campus operations.
- Ensure that applicable CU policies and Administrative Policy Statements are executed consistently and accurately.
- Respond to requests from guests, supervisors and management in a timely, professional and efficient manner.
- Responsible for assisting in the maintenance and repair of banquet equipment.
- Analyze all activities to ensure effectiveness and propose alternatives and solutions.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Event Sales Specialist, the Event Operations Manager or the Vice Chancellor of South Denver.
- Duties and responsibilities can be changed, expanded, reduced or delegated by management to meet the business needs of the property.
- High School Diploma/GED required.
- Experience in food handling.
- Experience working in fast paced environment and managing multiple events.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must meet age to serve alcoholic beverages.
- Must be willing and able to stand, walk, lift, and bend for long periods of time.
- Must be willing and able to frequently stand, talk and hear.
- Must be willing and able to occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Must be willing and able to go from warm to cold climates (workstations to coolers).
- The work is performed primarily in banquet area environment. Must be willing able to handle the moderate noise level in the work environment.
- Must be willing and able to work evenings, weekends and holidays.
- 1 year of experience in serving corporate clients.
- 1-3 years of banquet captain experience.
- Possess excellent Guest service skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Organized and able to manage multiple events with multiple deadlines.
- Knowledge of all aspects of Banquet Event Orders.
- Tips/ServSafe or TEAM trained.
- Work productively under pressure
- Have a working knowledge of all banquet equipment.
- Understanding of service standards and ability to train servers.
- Knowledge of both Colorado wine, liquor and food laws and practices.
- Able to quickly and effectively meet the culinary needs of customers who use the CU Denver South location for their events.
- Flexible work style and attitude with a willingness to work as a member of a fast-paced team.
- Self-starting, innovative thinker who is eager to create and develop new programs and initiatives.
- Ability to be resourceful and utilize available resources in order to appropriately assist event attendees.
- Knowledge and willingness to be trained about the resources offered and provided at all University of Colorado campuses.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Required Application Materials: To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers and attach: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV/resume 3. List of three to five professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references) Questions should be directed to: South Denver HR, [email protected]
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees. The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Application Deadline: Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Applications will be accepted until finalists are identified, but preference will be given to complete applications received by June 15, 2018. Those who do not apply by June 15, 2018 may or may not be considered.
Job Category: Facilities/Labor,Trades & Crafts
Primary Location: Denver
Department: D0001 -- Denver Campus - 60140 - ADM-VCSD BusOpEvent/Cater/Cafe
Posting Date: May 10, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: South Denver HR
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00002675