Clinical Counselor - Counseling Center ( A1800294 )
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The University of Illinois Counseling Center is hiring one or more clinical counselors. A successful candidate will have solid experience and expertise in serving college student populations. There are openings for a generalist with strong demonstrated interest and experience in alcohol and other drug concerns. Other areas of specialty will be considered according to current clinical needs including working with Latinx populations, Native American populations or eating disorders. Licensed and mid-career clinicians are strongly encouraged to apply. The Center is an accredited training site through the American Psychological Association (APA) with over 50 staff, which includes clinicians, doctoral interns, academic professional staff, and administrative staff as well as graduate assistants, undergraduate paraprofessionals, and practicum counselors.
The University of Illinois is located in the twin cities of Champaign and Urbana in central Illinois. The campus is also located between the three major metropolitan areas of Chicago, Indianapolis, and St. Louis and is considered one of the top comprehensive research public universities in the nation. Our staff works on campus with an academically talented and ethnically diverse student population, including 23 percent international students, 15 percent Asian students, 9 percent Latinx students, and 5 percent African American students, for a total enrollment of over 47,820 students. The University of Illinois is a traditional residential campus with nearly 10,500 students living in campus housing.
Primary Job Functions
The primary function of this position is to serve as a generalist for clinical service provision with a special emphasis in clinical and outreach work with students concerning alcohol and other drugs. Additionally, the successful candidate will be a well-rounded professional, who works comfortably both individually and as a team member in providing effective outreach and prevention programs. Our Center's mission places a high value on serving a diverse population of students in a culturally competent manner as we provide a variety of services to assist students with psychological, educational, social, and developmental concerns.
Job duties and responsibilities for this position as a clinical counselor may include, but are not limited to:
• Conducting alcohol and other drugs specialized assessments for students.
• Providing time-limited counseling services for individuals and couples.
• Managing clinical crises and triage services.
• Providing group counseling services through a general therapy group or a group that addresses a specific clinical issue or the needs of a particular population of students.
• Providing outreach and clinical services that address the needs of the general student population as well as the needs of traditionally underserved populations.
• Participating in psychological emergency and trauma response.
• Training/supervising doctoral interns, practicum counselors and undergraduate paraprofessional service providers.
• Participating in other outreach, training, and consultation team activities.
• Participating in various Student Affairs activities and committees.
• Other duties as assigned.
• For clinicians having a terminal doctoral degree the following is preferred: doctorate in clinical psychology, clinical/community psychology, counseling psychology, or related field.
• For clinicians having a terminal master's level degree the following is required: master's degree in social work, clinical/counseling/community psychology, or related field.
• Licensed in Illinois or license eligible background as a psychologist required for candidates with doctorate degree.
• Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW), Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor (LCPC), or Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT) in Illinois or license eligible background is required for master's level degreed clinicians.
• Licensed for at least 3 years at time of application is required.
• No other licensure will be considered.
• Demonstrated experience functioning at a high level as a generalist counselor with an emphasis in alcohol and other drugs or Latinx populations or Native American populations or eating disorders in a diverse setting is required.
• Previous experience in a college counseling center for at least 2 years is required.
• Demonstrated interest and experience in clinical or outreach training/supervision is preferred.
Strong communication skills is required.
August 1, 2018 or mutually acceptable date.
12-month term with 24-vacation days; full-time regular position.
Salary competitive and commensurate with experience.
To ensure full consideration please create your candidate profile through http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, vita, and contact information for three references. For full consideration, please apply by May 31, 2018; applications submitted after that date will be accepted until all positions are filled. We intend to make multiple hires for this search. Interviews may be conducted before the deadline. Applicants are strongly encouraged to submit three current letters of recommendation to:
Alejandro Gomez and Emily Barnum
Search Committee Co-Chairs
Counseling Center, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
610 E. John St., 110 Student Services Building
Champaign, IL 61820
This position is a security sensitive position. Individuals with diverse backgrounds, experience and ideas who embrace and value diversity and inclusivity are encouraged to apply.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: Student Affairs
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Clinical Counselor - Counseling Center ( A1800294 )
Open Date: 05/10/2018
Close Date: 05/31/2018
Organization Name: Counseling Center