Academic Advisor - Gies College of Business, Online Programs
Gies College of Business Online Programs
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Provide an exceptional student experience by serving student needs related to course scheduling, course registration, academic advising, new student orientation, and other student services for both degree and non-degree students. Additionally play an integral role in helping students both recognize and achieve their educational goals.
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work under the guidance of the Assistant/Associate Director for Academic and Student Support Services to provide virtual advising to a high volume of both degree and non-degree students in reviewing of academic performance, progress towards completion of degree requirements, course selection, and registration.
- Provide advising and assistance to prospective students with regards to program degree requirements, degree planning and course selection questions.
- Serve as a resource for degree and non-degree students regarding program, financial aid, Graduate College and University policies and procedures.
- Work with faculty and program administrators to remain up to date on program and curriculum changes, and to develop new initiatives based upon student feedback and program assessments to improve the services and experiences offered by the program.
- Develop and revise informational materials, resources, handbooks, and other content.
- Advise and assist students with academic, probationary, and financial concerns on possible courses of action and direct students to appropriate campus resources when applicable.
- Foster student retention and appropriately track data.
- Maintain records of student contacts.
- Oversee degree certification process as required by the Graduate College.
- Work with other members of the online programs team to help-out with other cross-functional activities as needed.
- Work some evening and weekend hours to meet the online advising and event needs of the student population in the program.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS:
Required: Bachelor's degree
Preferred: Master's degree in business or student services
Required: At least two years of professional experience. Exceptional and demonstrable customer service skills. Excellent organizational and communication skills (interpersonal, written, and verbal). Ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities. Proven success in managing across multiple stakeholders. Ability to work independently and as part of a team. Must demonstrate a service oriented attitude and enthusiasm for working with faculty and students. Strong working knowledge of computer related databases and office-related software. Familiarity and comfortable using video-based web conferencing technology.
Preferred: Two years of experience providing student academic support in a higher education setting. Experience working with a diverse student population. Experience with a variety of social media platforms. Experience administering and assessing programs. Knowledge of University of Illinois and Academic Advising computer applications, including Banner and Student Records Systems. Understanding student development issues as they relate to advising and the student experience.
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
This is a full-time (100%), benefits-eligible academic professional position appointed on a 12-month basis. The position is available as soon as possible after the closing date.
For full consideration, all applicants must create a candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload a cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references as a single PDF file by June 11, 2018. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. All requested information must be submitted for your application to be considered. For further information regarding application procedures, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Illinois Gies College of Business conducts criminal background checks and will request academic transcripts from all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: Business
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Academic Advisor - Gies College of Business, Online Programs
Open Date: 05/09/2018
Organization Name: Business Online Programs