Associate Vice President for Marketing and Communications
Official Title: Associate Vice President for Marketing and Communication
Department: Office of Institutional Advancement
Immediate Supervisor: Vice President for Institutional Advancement
Positions Reporting to this Position: Director of Institutional Communications; Director of Publications; Executive Director of Marketing.
Purpose of the Position:
The Associate Vice President for Marketing and Communication (AVP) serves as the College's chief marketing and communication officer and has responsibility for visionary leadership in marketing, public relations, crisis management messaging, research-based messaging, and branding expertise for Daemen College. This marketing professional oversees the entire marketing and communication effort including the development and implementation of a strategic marketing and branding initiative. The comprehensive plan includes the coordination of all campus efforts to increase student enrollment, manage external communications and the College's identity and image, motivate fundraising among alumni and other prospective donors, and recruit highly qualified faculty and staff. The AVP serves as a member of the President's Leadership Advisory Committee.
The Associate Vice President shall have exemplary strategic skills with a strong understanding of the marketing and communication industries' best practices, with a firm understanding of marketing and branding principles, college admissions, public relations, fundraising, and alumni relations.
The AVP is expected to work with the Cabinet and with academic and administrative leaders across the campus to market their programs and initiatives and to support the Vice President for Institutional Advancement in fundraising and alumni relations.
The Associate Vice President for Marketing and Communication shall have broad experience and expertise in building and implementing comprehensive, coordinated strategic marketing and communication plans that incorporate a broad array of media tools, including but not limited to print, broadcast, and digital and social media.
The Associate Vice President will oversee the activities of the Director of Institutional Communications, the Director of Publications, and Executive Director of Marketing. The AVP is responsible for leading these campus professionals as a focused, cohesive marketing and communication team that focuses its expertise on supporting the implementation of a marketing strategy that enhances the reputation, brand, and mission of the College.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Associate Vice President for Marketing and Communication shall:
- Work closely and collaboratively with the President, the Cabinet, and academic departments and administrative offices across the college, to develop and implement an integrated, proactive, comprehensive, marketing and communication strategy and plan that enhances the brand, influence, and reputation of Daemen College
- Work with the Vice President for Academic Affairs and the Divisional Deans to identify the most effective marketing strategy for growing enrollment at the College
- Enhance communication and coordination among campus stakeholders, create and chair a standing Marketing and Communication Committee that shall include key campus stakeholders
- Establish strong, sustained marketing partnerships and lead annual marketing plan development efforts with key campus leaders, especially the Vice President for Enrollment Management, the Vice President for Academic Affairs, the Vice President for Student Affairs, and the Director of Athletics
- Manage all college-wide marketing and communication activities, especially media relations; digital communication and social media; advertising placements, including print, digital, broadcast, and other formats that will ensure a cost-effective strategy to reach prospective students, donors and other targeted constituencies
- Work with the Director of Institutional Communications to define and implement external communication strategies through strategic, effective and enhanced relationships with TV, radio, and print media within and outside of the Buffalo Niagara region and nationally
- Promote the achievements of faculty, students, staff and campus leaders to enhance institutional branding of Daemen College at the regional, state, and national levels
- Serve as a trusted senior advisor to the President on all matters related to internal and external branding, strategic marketing, and communication
- Utilize appropriate metrics and analytics to keep the college apprised of national marketing trends that may have an impact on the College, and report regularly on the market position of Daemen in relation to competing institutions of higher education in the region, the state and the nation
- In partnership with the Chief Information Officer, Director of Web Communication and Executive Director of Marketing, coordinate digital outreach efforts, and enhancements to the Daemen website that will have a positive impact on College marketing and communication initiatives
- Manage and coordinate all writing, photography, editing and other activities that directly support the development, production and distribution of the College's marketing and communication products, including but not limited to Daemen Today, the Daemen Voice; press releases; and materials intended to market special events on campus, including the Distinguished Leaders Lecture Series
- Effectively manage and mentor the marketing and communication professional staff who fall under the supervision of the Associate Vice President for Marketing and Communication, and lead the development of an annual marketing and communication budget
- Other duties as assigned by the Vice President for Institutional Advancement
The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Minimum of a Bachelor's degree in marketing, advertising, business communication, or related field. An advanced degree strongly preferred
- 7+ years experience in marketing, including expertise in the development and implementation of strategic marketing, communication, and branding plans. It is preferred, that within these years of experience the AVP have five years of senior level management experience in marketing. Experience in marketing or communication in a higher education setting is strongly preferred
- Demonstrated knowledge of brand development and current marketing and communication trends, including extensive knowledge of the use of social media
- Exceptional writing, oral, and presentation skills, and ability to interact effectively with senior leadership at the College, College staff professionals, faculty leaders, and external constituencies of special priority to Daemen College
- Experience supervising professional staff
Terms of Employment:
Position is full time exempt and may require extended evening or weekend hours.
Compensation: Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Additional information for applying can be found at https://www.daemen.edu/about/working-daemen/associate-vice-president-marketing-and-communication.
Daemen College is an AA/EOE and strongly encourages applications from women, veterans, people of color, individuals with disabilities and candidates who will contribute to and support the cultural fluency and diversity of our campus.