Director Building Maintenance
Job Description Summary:
Job ID: 5715 - FT - Unclassified (salaried)
Position leads, manages, plans, organizes and controls a large facility maintenance, fleet and trucking operation for a university campus consisting of approximately 180 buildings, driving efficient and customer focused service. Work consists of maintenance, installation, operation, and repair of a wide variety of commercial and residential mechanical systems and equipment; operation and maintenance of a high voltage electrical distribution system, exterior campus lights, and building electrical systems in a manner that results in the greatest efficiency and effectiveness. Position also oversees and coordinates work of outside contractors. Perform other duties as assigned.
1. Oversees daily operation of approximately 100 employees providing maintenance services to the Oxford Campus, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Provides direction and oversight for managerial and supervisory staff. Supports the unit, departmental, and institutional goals.
2. Responsible for overall administration, supervision and operation of a building maintenance program. This includes execution of programs for inspection, preventive maintenance (PM), repair, installation, operation and diagnostic activities for trades staff, including the establishment of work priorities. Develops/prepares periodic reports detailing performance of the business unit.
3. Provides oversight for building, system and equipment conditions to aid in long-range capital planning and priority assessment.
4. Recommends, implements and measures strategic processes to aid in the increased efficiency and effectiveness of the business unit.
5. Manages labor relations and the negotiated contract with hourly staff. Administers policy and makes recommendations for policy alterations. Participates in the administration of discipline.
6. Responds to customer concerns and develops plans to provide more proactive services. Meets and communicates with customers to better understand their business needs in an effort to develop enhanced services.
7. Reviews planned construction and renovation documents and provides desired outcomes and alterations to the project manager. Communicates upcoming planned capital work with the work unit so they can prepare for new equipment or building materials.
8. Measures outcomes of services provided and compares those metrics to departmental goals. Communicates status with staff and develops methods to achieve goals set by administration.
9. Prepares and manages operating and capital improvement budgets; ensures funds are spent in accordance with state law and University policy.
Associate's degree required in a facilities maintenance operations, engineering or business management field plus a minimum of 5 years full-time experience working with skilled trades or construction management. Years of service in the relevant industry would be in conjunction with certifications or degree.
OEEO Statement: The University is committed to equal opportunity, affirmative action, and eliminating discrimination and harassment. Miami University does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, military status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or protected veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, programs or employment practices. Requests for reasonable accommodations/or disabilities related to employment should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@MiamiOH.edu or 513-529-3560. Miami University's Annual Security and Fire Safety Report with information on campus crime, fires, and safety may be found at http://miamioh.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/. Hard copy available upon request. A criminal background check is required. All campuses are smoke and tobacco free campuses.