Senior Associate Athletic Director for Athletic Operations
Founded in 1845, Wittenberg is a nationally ranked, private, liberal arts college related to the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America and has an enrollment of about 1,700 students. Wittenberg enjoys a national reputation for excellent academic standards and is widely known for its friendly and welcoming atmosphere. Wittenberg has an exceptional staff and award-winning faculty who share a commitment to undergraduate teaching, research, and development of students into successful global citizens. Situated on 100 acres of rolling hills in Springfield Ohio, Wittenberg is easily accessible from Columbus, Dayton and Cincinnati.
Wittenberg is a NCAA Division III institution participating in the North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) and offers a broad-based intercollegiate athletics program with 23 varsity teams and numerous club and intramural opportunities. Annually, Wittenberg places among the top four in the North Coast Athletic Conference All-sports standings.
Wittenberg University is accepting applications for a Senior Associate Athletic Director for Athletic Operations. This is a full-time salaried position. The position will report to the Director of Athletics & Recreation and will assist with the internal operations and compliance aspects of an NCAA Division III athletic department. Candidates must possess excellent organizational and communication skills and be able to interact effectively and appropriately with student-athletes, parents, alumni, faculty, peers, community members, and administrators. Candidates must maintain and ensure student-athlete academic integrity, demonstrate a commitment to the mission and values of Wittenberg University and Division III and to compliance with NCAA, conference, and university rules and regulations.
Essential functions include, but are not limited to:
- Provide strategic leadership, communication, and administrative support to the Director of Athletics in all facets of the department. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Manage the schedule and travel for the Director of Athletics.
- Provide open, timely and effective communication keeping the Director of Athletics up to date on salient matters.
- Provide sound recommendation and information to support decision making.
- Ensure the Director is appropriately briefed for all meetings and events.
- Develop and maintain an inventory of critical path projects and AD priorities.
- Implement systems for tracking on matters emerging from the campus strategic planning process.
- Assess department and program goals.
- Monitor initiatives that impact athletics.
- Organize and plan all department-related meetings.
- Maintain department metrics and data related to scheduling, roster management, and recruiting.
- Provide support, guidance, and assistance to the Director of Athletics for the direct supervision of the following functional & positional areas:
- Administrative Assistant. Supervise and monitor tasks such as work-study hiring, contracts, accounts payable & receivable, and general office coverage.
- Athletic Training
- Facilities & Events
- Men's and women's golf, tennis, water polo, and swimming & diving.
- Provide administrative support to the Director of Athletics in all facets of internal and business operations of the athletic department. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Serve as the departmental liaison to Human Resources. Assist the AD in hiring, training, and evaluation of staff. Monitor and update job descriptions, process hiring paperwork, coordinate search committees, organize sport and program assessment process.
- Serve as departmental liaison to the Business office. Assist the AD on budget oversight and forecasting, provide guidance and support for coaches and staff with regard to purchasing, travel, and equipment.
- File reports in consultation with the AD based on federal, state, NCAC, or NCAA guidelines (i.e. EODA, Sport Sponsorship).
- Coordinate NCAA compliance duties in consultation with the Director of Athletics. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Coordinate and facilitate team compliance meetings and process paperwork.
- In conjunction with Sports Information, document athlete participation and certify through the University's information portal.
- Complete tracer forms for outgoing and incoming transfer requests.
- Consult with the AD on NCAA legislative interpretations.
- Provide education, training, and organization to ensure head coaches and individual programs are compliant.
- Serve as the ex-officio member of CAPR, coordinate game schedules in conjunction with CAPR to assure compliance.
- Adhere to NCAA, conference, departmental, and university policies, procedures, and expectations.
- Provide service to the Institution as assigned by the Director of Athletics & Recreation
- Other duties as assigned.
For this position we are looking for a seasoned professional with extensive knowledge & experience with collegiate internal operations and compliance. We require that candidates have a Master's Degree and at least 4 to 6 years of relevant work experience.
Travel is required as well as some evening and weekend work throughout the year.
Candidates must have a valid driver's license and proof of good driving record.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Wittenberg is committed to attracting and retaining highly qualified individuals who collectively reflect the diversity of our student body and society at-large. Please see our notice of nondiscrimination housed on our website.
Review of applications will begin immediately and the position will remain open until filled.
We ask candidates to set-up an account and apply through our online system. As part of the application process, candidates will be asked to upload the following documents in MS Word or Adobe Acrobat format.
2. Cover letter
3. Name, address, and phone number of three professional references.
If you are a person with a disability and require assistance with the application process, please contact Wittenberg's Human Resources Department at 937.327.7517.