Manager, Student Accounts
Hofstra University is a nationally ranked and recognized private university in Hempstead, N.Y. that is the only school to ever host three consecutive presidential debates (2008, 2012 and 2016). At Hofstra, students get the best of both worlds. Our campus is a leafy oasis just a quick train ride away from New York City and all its cultural, recreational and professional opportunities. We offer small classes and personal attention, with the resources, technology and facilities of a large university. Students can choose from more than 160 undergraduate program options and 165 graduate program options in the liberal arts and sciences, education, health professions and human services, the Peter S. Kalikow School of Government, Public Policy and International Affairs, the Fred DeMatteis School of Engineering and Applied Science, the Frank G. Zarb School of Business, the Lawrence Herbert School of Communication, the Maurice A. Deane School of Law, the Hofstra Northwell School of Graduate Nursing and Physician Assistant Studies, and the Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell. Hofstra University is a dynamic community of more than 11,000 students from around the world who are dedicated to civic engagement, academic excellence and becoming leaders in their communities and their careers.
Reporting to the Assistant Director in the Office of the Bursar/Student Accounts, the Manager, Student Accounts provides support to the Student Accounts team. The incumbent is responsible for management of various accounting records and reconciliations including daily cash receipt reports, various fee posting reports and account reconciliations, while providing exceptional customer service to the University’s students, employees and outside organizations.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Supervises clerical and cashiering staff while overseeing daily operations relating to payment processing through the TouchNet system including timely opening of the cashiering office, the daily close reconciliation process, and management of the scheduling calendar.
- Reviews available literature and communication from the outside vendor to stay informed of updates to payment processing software and Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards.
- Resolves escalated issues related to payment processing, account holds, contractual payment agreements, outside scholarships and third-party billing.
- Frequently communicates with students, families and numerous departments across campus including Finance, Admissions, Financial Aid, Student Financial Services, Academic Records and Registrar.
- Assists in preparation and ensuring proper classification and accuracy of payments in accordance with updated IRS regulations related to Form 1098-T Tuition Statement.
- Ensures the security of student and payment information in compliance with University policy.
- Reviews, analyzes and processes hold restrictions, credit card refunds and various transactions on student accounts.
- Generates, reconciles and submits the daily banking transmission files for paper and electronic checks.
- Assists in managing the Bursar email account and responds timely to and/or works in conjunction with other areas to resolve issues.
- Continuously analyzes and evaluates existing processes and technology for potential improvement to maintain a high level of payment data security, personal information security and service to students and families.
- Develops, updates and maintains departmental policies and procedures for all related tasks.
- Assists in overseeing operation of the reception area ensuring coverage at all times including during peak periods and time off.
- Trains staff as needed and tests systems regularly for upgrades.
- Contributes to the overall success of the Student Account’s Office by performing all other essential duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Evening and weekend hours may be required in support of special events and projects.
Candidates must be able to organize and handle all aspects of administration and adhere to the rules and regulations of Hofstra University, the Colonial Athletic Conference and the NCAA.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, preferably in Accounting, Finance or similar business degree.
- Strong Customer Service skills.
- Demonstrated proficiency with MS Office applications, intermediate to advanced skill level in Excel and Word.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, managerial and problem solving skills.
- Organized, detail oriented, motivated, and capable to independently and effectively prioritize multiple tasks and projects.
- Capable of managing complex situations and be highly analytical.
- Ability to exercise professionalism and sound judgement at all times.
- Experience in a supervisory role with concentration in customer service.
- Knowledge of Ellucian Banner and TouchNet are desirable.
For consideration, please send letter of application, resume and salary requirements to:
Include “Manager, Student Accounts” in the subject line
Hofstra University is an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering diversity in its faculty, administrative staff and student body, and encourages applications from the entire spectrum of a diverse community.
Apply for Manager, Student Accounts
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly