Student Financial Services Counselor
Hofstra University is a nationally ranked and recognized private university in Hempstead, N.Y. that is the only school to ever host three consecutive presidential debates (2008, 2012 and 2016). At Hofstra, students get the best of both worlds. Our campus is a leafy oasis just a quick train ride away from New York City and all its cultural, recreational and professional opportunities. We offer small classes and personal attention, with the resources, technology and facilities of a large university. Students can choose from more than 160 undergraduate program options and 165 graduate program options in the liberal arts and sciences, education, health professions and human services, the Peter S. Kalikow School of Government, Public Policy and International Affairs, the Fred DeMatteis School of Engineering and Applied Science, the Frank G. Zarb School of Business, the Lawrence Herbert School of Communication, the Maurice A. Deane School of Law, the Hofstra Northwell School of Graduate Nursing and Physician Assistant Studies, and the Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell. Hofstra University is a dynamic community of more than 11,000 students from around the world who are dedicated to civic engagement, academic excellence and becoming leaders in their communities and their careers.
Reporting to the Director of Student Financial Services, the Student Financial Services Counselor provides exceptional customer service to the students, families, department and University team members. The incumbent is responsible for managing the one-stop counseling and advising of students and families on registration, billing, financial aid and payment inquiries.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Counsel, advise, investigate and resolve issues from prospective and current students from in-person, email and phone interactions in a timely manner.
- Advise on in-depth financial aid questions assuring adherence to all regulatory compliance concerning financial aid applications, eligibility, disbursement and refunds, cost of attendance budget components, different aid types, loan comparisons, estimated family contributions and any extraordinary circumstances.
- Adhere to University policies and procedures, as well as FERPA guidelines, the Colonial Athletic Conference and the NCAA.
- Seek guidance on escalated, complex issues related to registration, payment processing, account holds, financial aid, and outside scholarships.
- Frequently communicate with students on outreach projects and monitor the student’s progress for academic and financial success.
- Represent the University in community activities, such as high school night presentations.
- Collaborate with other departments to resolve enrollment issues to retain the student through graduation.
- Recommend ideas to improve service to students and families that will contribute to the University’s retention, graduation, student satisfaction and success goals.
- Contributes to the overall success of the Student Financial Services Suite by performing all other essential duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Evening and weekend hours may be required in support of special events and projects.
Candidates must be able to organize and handle all aspects of administration and adhere to the rules and regulations of Hofstra University, the Colonial Athletic Conference and the NCAA.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- At least one or more years experience in a customer service related field
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated proficiency with MS Office applications; intermediate skill level in Excel and Word.
- Proven ability to work effectively as a team member.
- Organized and capable to independently and effectively prioritize multiple tasks and projects.
- Ability to meet expectations in a fast-paced, dynamic, customer-oriented environment.
- Valid Driver’s License
- Counseling on financial aid, registration and/or student accounts receivable information in a higher education environment.
- Experience and knowledge of working with Ellucian Banner.
For consideration, please send letter of application, resume and salary requirements to:
Include “SFS counselor” in the subject line
Hofstra University is an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering diversity in its faculty, administrative staff and student body, and encourages applications from the entire spectrum of a diverse community.
Apply for Student Financial Services Counselor
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly