Director of Student Accounts
Date: May 10, 2018
Title: Director of Student Accounts
Description: Under the supervision of the Vice President for Finance, the Director of Student Accounts is responsible for all aspects of student billing, in addition to the accounts receivables for the entire college community. The Director of Student Accounts is the NYS TAP certifying officer, manages the internal collection process and oversees the student loan component for non-current students. The Director supervises the Assistant Director of Student Accounts, Cashier and Receptionist. It is required that the Director have full knowledge of all duties assigned to these other positions in order to supply backup when needed.
- All aspects of Student Billing – tuition, fees, miscellaneous expenses, transfer of Financial Aid and housing, involving technical setup of parameters uploads and downloads between Datatel and Excel. Computing and applying interest, checking for accuracy spooling and sending bills to print.
- Manage internal collections – involving account maintenance, assigning accounts to outside agencies, following bankruptcy regulations.
- Oversee and implement notification, disbursing and refunding of Title IV funds and State Grants and NYS TAP. Full knowledge of Federal and State regulations that govern these funds to maintain their accuracy and guidelines. Includes working closely with Financial Aid Office.
- Keeping current with Bursar application, duties and regulations, and IT improvements or enhancements. Information from seminars, list serves and publications. This involves implementing of processes as they become available.
- Working with outside agencies involving tuition payment plans, collection agencies, lenders, vendors, prepaid tuition, health and tuition insurance companies, NYS HESC, online payment services, local banking institutions and campus bookstore operated by Barnes and Noble.
- Communications with families and students through large informative mailings at beginning of each semester, written notices to students at registration and pre-registration concerning restrictions, constant emails and phone communications regarding account inquiries and conflict resolution. Group presentations to parents.
- Thorough knowledge to provide supervision and back up to Assistant Director of Student Accounts, Cashier and Receptionist. This involves decision-making and problem solving as situations arise.
- Balancing of various accounts. NYS TAP, loan account, deposit accounts, student accounts, outside payment plan and assisting accounting with re-reconciliation of deposits to college cash account. Involves use of canned reports and numerous queries on Datatel and outside servicer systems.
- Working closely with numerous departments on campus relating to student accounts, payroll and policy involving any aspect of fees or charges to accounts. Also involves serving on numerous campus committees.
- Ability to create and maintain positive relationships with all internal and external constituents.
- Comply with all applicable College, Federal, State, and local regulations.
- Comport him/herself in a professional manner at all times, both on and off campus.
- Participate in significant campus activities including Commencement Weekend.
- Additional job related duties as assigned.
Qualifications: Minimum qualifications for this position are a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college, university or technical school, with between 5 and 7 years of experience in a similar position/field. Must be bondable.
The ideal candidate will have knowledge of federal and state regulations governing Title IV funds, NYS TAP, and bankruptcy. Must have knowledge of Higher Ed procedures and regulations. Accounting experience in an education environment involving cash receipts and balancing of accounts is required. Excellent written and oral communication skills, and strong interpersonal and organizational skills are necessary. Knowledge of some type of campus based system (Datatel/Ellucian preferred). Must be proficient with Excel, Word, and Outlook Express for merging and communications. Supervisory experience is required.
Hartwick College Information:
An independent, residential liberal arts college enrolling approximately 1,400 full-time undergraduates, Hartwick embraces the teacher-scholar model, with teaching excellence as the first priority, and seeks to recruit, retain and promote a diverse workforce.
Located in the scenic Susquehanna River valley in Oneonta, NY, near the northern foothills of the Catskill Mountains, the College features a Liberal Arts in Practice curriculum and aspires to "be the best at melding liberal arts education with experiential learning."
Hartwick offers health benefits to domestic partners of employees, and prohibits discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation/preference and gender identity/expression. Hartwick is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to broadening “the understanding, awareness, and appreciation of diversity among all members of the Hartwick community.” Women, minorities, and other underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply.
Hartwick College is committed to providing a safe and secure educational environment. Employment at Hartwick College is therefore contingent upon a successful background check on every new employee. Candidates to whom an offer of employment is made will be required to sign a Release of Information Form authorizing the College to conduct a thorough background check.
Hartwick College is committed to a diverse candidate pool, values an inclusive workforce and workplace environment, and wishes to minimize or eliminate the impact of implicit bias during the search and hiring process. To apply, please submit two single pdf copies of your application materials. One of these copies should have any and all reference to your name redacted. The other copy should leave any reference to your name intact. Both copies should be inclusive of the content below.
- cover letter
- Diversity Statement – a statement addressing how past and/or potential contributions to diversity will support Hartwick College’s Diversity Statement (https://www.hartwick.edu/campus-life/intercultural-affairs/diversity-at-hartwick/)
- and the names and contact information for three references (at least one of your references must be from a current and/or previous supervisor)
All materials should be sent electronically to Jarvis McCowin, Coordinator of Inclusion, at firstname.lastname@example.org with [Position Title] in the subject line. Applications may also be mailed to the Office of Human Resources, Hartwick College, P.O. Box 4020, Oneonta, NY 13820 or faxed to 607-431-4329. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
To see an example of a redacted resume, please visit the following (https://www.hartwick.edu/about-us/employment/human-resources/employment-opportunities/staff-positions/redacted-staff/).