Assistant Director of Development, Athletics
The Athletics Department at University of Colorado Boulder is inviting applications for an Assistant Director of Development, Athletics. This is an entry-level development professional position, with some fundraising experience preferred. Primary focus on development of relationships with CU alumni and other donors, specifically targeting gifts in the $5K to $25K range, throughout Boulder and the surrounding areas within the state of Colorado. The Assistant Director typically handles smaller, less complex gift prospects with the intent of identifying, cultivating, sustaining and increasing donor relationship.
Who we are:
As one of 34 U.S. public research institutions belonging to the prestigious Association of American Universities (AAU)-and the only member in the Rocky Mountain region-our goal at CU Boulder is to directly affect Colorado communities through collaborative research, innovation and entrepreneurship. Our faculty, staff and students work with the broader community to establish unique connections that have lasting outcomes-both across Colorado and around the world.
What your key responsibilities will be:
- Work proactively to identify new prospects and cultivate existing annual fund donor relationships with the intent of sustaining and increasing relationships over time.
- Focus on personal visits, outbound telephone calls, and written correspondence as primary methods of donor engagement. Plan, organize, coordinate and manage daily activities to support gift solicitation efforts and events.
- Leverage all available University and Athletic Department resources and assets (i.e. tickets, premium seating, parking, event attendance, etc.) to identify, cultivate, and solicit fundraising support.
- Portfolio Management: Specific goals relating to personal contacts, proposals, dollars raised, and other traditional development metrics to be set with and approved by management as part of the University's annual performance plan cycle.
- Manage portfolio consisting of a minimum of 50 prospects.
- Responsible for meeting an aggressive annual target of 240 face-to-face donor visits and meetings.
- Collaborate with University partners to coordinate fundraising strategies for donors with multiple interests.
- As appropriate, may work to design donor and volunteer cultivation events in order to attract and retain interest in University activities and programs.
- Work daily to ensure timely, accurate completion of proposals, pledges and fund agreements. Maintain accurate and timely documentation of prospect strategies and contact reports, evaluate new prospects, and generate reports and other correspondence as necessary to cultivate prospects.
- Proactively represents CU Athletics at external events in order to identify prospects and grow network of support.
- Serve as an active, engaged member of the Buff Club Annual Fund (BCAF) team and support all efforts of the BCAF team as under the direction of the Associate Director of Development for the Buff Club Annual Fund.
What we can offer:
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be Collaborative. Be Innovative. Be Strategic. Be Boulder.
What we require:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent.
- Minimum of 2 years of business experience.
- Experience with software utilized: Microsoft Office Products; MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint; donor tracking software (BSR helpful).
- Paciolan/Spectra ticketing and donor development software.
What you will need:
- Knowledge of fundraising, public relations, marketing or sales.
- Communicates verbally and in writing, and develops and maintains interpersonal relationships.
- Analyzes information / situations and works proactively to solve problems.
- Handles sensitive information discretely and maintains confidentiality.
- Organizes and manages multiple projects/tasks simultaneously; must have ability to work independently and collaboratively, and adapt to changing priorities.
- Knowledge of current issues facing public universities and interests of assigned school, students, faculty and alumni.
- Cultivates and solicits donations from individuals, foundations and corporations.
- Personal computer proficiency required, especially as related to the software referenced under "software utilized". Computer skills may be subject to testing/verification.
What we'd like you to have:
- Previous experience working in an intercollegiate athletics department.
- Fundraising, sales, or public relations experience.
Preferred qualifications may be used to further reduce the pool of applicants to those who are most highly qualified.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Please apply by May 18, 2018.
If you have technical difficulties submitting application information, please contact the CU Careers help desk at [email protected]. All other job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact for this posting.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting at www.cu.edu/cu-careers:
1. A current resume.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
Please combine materials into one document and upload as titled: Last-First-13480.
Please do not upload references at this time.
Job Category: Development
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 11007 - UCB Development Administration
Posting Date: May 9, 2018
Closing Date: May 18, 2018, 10:59:00 PM
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00001281