This individual will join a team of scientific programmers and software engineers to support processing, calibration, characterization, and presentation of science data from NASA space science missions. Duties will entail data analysis, algorithm development, and programming using a variety of tools and techniques, working closely with scientists, engineers, and other NASA project participants.
• Implement software for processing, management, analysis, and/or visualization of scientific and engineering data for space science instruments
• Apply data analysis techniques and numerical methods to characterize data sets and derive new processing and calibration algorithms and data sets
• Support scientists in installing and using software tools and with presentation of data sets
• Bachelor's degree or higher in a physical science, computer science, or related field or equivalent professional experience.
• Experience in the design and development of algorithms and software for processing, analysis, and visualization of scientific data sets.
• Strong interest and aptitude in mathematics, numerical analysis, astronomical algorithms, and/or spacecraft orbit/attitude algorithms.
• At least 3 years' experience programming in Python, and the willingness and ability to learn new languages as necessary.
• Familiarity with modern software engineering best practices and associated tools.
Due to U.S. Export Control Restrictions, only U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents may apply.
• Experience processing and analyzing data from space-based scientific instruments is highly desirable, but not required.
• Experience programming in Java, the Interactive Data Language IDL , and/or Matlab
• Experience developing and working with AWS Services is desirable.
• Working knowledge of solar physics and/or planetary sciences
• Experience using software engineering tools, such as Git, Bitbucket Jenkins, and other Atlassian tools such as Jira and Fisheye/Crucible.
Special Instructions to Applicants:The University of Colorado Boulder conducts background checks on all final applicants being considered for employment, prior to the issuance of an offer letter. The University of Colorado is committed to providing a safe and productive learning, living and working community. To achieve this goal, we conduct background investigations for all final applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and an EPLS (Excluded Parties List System) check. The Immigration Reform and Control Act require that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work.
The University of Colorado is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained faculty and staff. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, the University of Colorado does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, political affiliation or political philosophy in its programs or activities, including employment admissions, and educational programs. Inquires may be directed to the Boulder Campus Title IX Coordinator by calling 303-492-2127. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, alternative formats of this ad can be provided upon request for individuals with disabilities by contacting Human Resources at email@example.com.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:Applicants must complete the Faculty/University Staff and EEO Data (application) form, and upload the following required documents: 1 - Cover Letter 2 - Curriculum Vitae This position is eligible for medical, dental and life insurance, retirement benefits programs, and is eligible for monthly vacation and sick leave accruals.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10060 - Lab Atmos/Space Physics
Posting Date: May 9, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Freya Olson
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00744621