10005733 Sr. Executive Communications Specialist
Sr. Executive Communications Specialist
Office of the Chief Academic Officer
Exempt, Regular, 100%-Time, Pay Grade 1.4
University of Maryland University College (UMUC) is seeking a highly organized and creative individual with strong communication skills for the Sr. Executive Communications Specialist position at UMUC. The ideal incumbent will possess a combination of skills in communications/presentations and executive support for UMUC’s Chief Academic Officer (CAO). The CAO works with a large internal team within the university, travels to multiple locations, and collaborates with many external stakeholders.
Clear and engaging communications is a core function of the CAO role and the ideal incumbent will serve as a strong partner to enhance stakeholder collaboration and engagement. This role combines both executive administrative and communications/presentation roles and will be a great fit for someone looking to work in a university environment with multiple advancement opportunities in various departments.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Performs a variety of Executive Administration and Communications functions for the CAO including:
- Executive Support Responsibilities
- Serves as administrative point of contact internally and externally for the CAO
- Coordinates CAO meetings with multiple participants and managing an active calendar of appointments
- Arranges complex and detailed travel plans, itineraries, and agendas
- Organizes and maintaining files, documents and deliverables
- Researches, prioritizes, and follows up on incoming issues and concerns addressed to the CAO, including those of a sensitive or confidential nature. Determines appropriate course of action, referral, or response.
- Provides a bridge for smooth communication between the CAO’s office and internal departments; demonstrating leadership to maintain credibility, trust and support with senior management staff.
- Prioritizes conflicting needs; handles matters expeditiously, proactively, and follows-through on projects to successful completion, often with deadline pressures.
- Participates as an ex-officio and supporting member of the Academic Affairs Leadership Team, including assisting in scheduling meetings, preparing agendas, recording minutes, decisions and action items, and keeping records
- Assists in coordinating team meetings, off-sites, and all-staff meetings
- Research, review, check and compile a variety of information; collect and verify data for accuracy, completeness and compliance with established procedures; and prepare reports as required; file records as required.
- Completes expense reports
- Executes all purchases for the office following UMUC, USM and State of Maryland policy to ensure accuracy and compliance
- Maintains department supplies, forms, and equipment.
- Supervises the work of the Office of the CAO’s Executive Administrative Assistant.
- Communications/Presentation Responsibilities
- Create professional caliber written communications including proposals, memoranda, and correspondence that is sometimes confidential
- Must possess exceptional writing, editing and proofreading skills. The incumbent will provide creative input into the CAO’s written communications
- Supervise visual communications using PowerPoint, Keynote and/or Prezi for communications with large and small audiences. Use of additional tools including Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, and/or Flash
- Completes critical aspects of deliverables with a hands-on approach, including drafting acknowledgement letters, personal correspondence, and other tasks that facilitate the CAO's ability to effectively lead the company.
- Ensures that the CAO’s bio is kept updated and responds to requests for materials regarding the CAO and Academic Affairs in general
- Edits and completes first drafts for written communications and presentations to internal and external stake holders. The candidate should be comfortable communicating with the CAO in order to understand concepts and interpret them visually.
- Uses PowerPoint, Photoshop and other tools to create templates, backgrounds, and presentations incorporating information graphics, charts, diagrams and occasionally animation and multimedia.
- Other job-related duties as assigned
- Executive Support Responsibilities
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Communications, Marketing or a related field.
- Minimum of five years of related experience in communications and executive support.
- Exceptional verbal/written communication and organizational skills, with the ability to prioritize and meet tight deadlines
- Strong relationship building skills
- Proficiency with personal computers and supporting software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe Photoshop etc.)
POSITION AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY & WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE