Stacks Management & Evening Supervisor
Stacks Management & Evening Supervisor
Library Services Associate
University Library-Gen - 141000
Is this an internal posting only?
Sunday, Noon-9pm, Mon-Thurs 1pm- 10pm
Wide ranges of student- and faculty-centered services are the cornerstone of the Libraries' integral role in the University of North Texas community. As the most-used service on campus and an essential component of education and research at the University of North Texas, the Libraries offer access to more than 6 million items (print and digital) along with expert personnel to assist patrons in achieving their academic and scholarly goals. We provide innovative programs and support to enhance the relationship between teaching and learning at the University of North Texas.
The Eagle Commons Library (ECL) is a branch library centrally located on the University of North Texas campus and home to the award winning Government Information Connection and supporting collections. The ECL is part of UNT Libraries' Public Services Division, which strives to meet the information and research needs of library patrons through the services we offer and collections we manage.
The Library Department at the University of North Texas is seeking to hire a Library Services Associate-Stacks Management & Evening Supervisor to join our team. This Library Services Associate position manages Stacks Management projects in the Eagle Commons Library (ECL). Responsibilities include scheduling and supervision of stacks student assistants and the ability to maintain a close attention to detail when updating item records and holding statements. This position requires a significant level of functional independence and supports the various processes and operations of the Eagle Commons Library. This position works independently within the established guidelines and expectations of the Library Services Manager of Eagle Commons Library.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
* Oversee management of services in the evenings at the Eagle Commons Library by overseeing and guiding student assistants on issues related to customer service, library services and resources, and coach them in communicating with clarity and tact and intervenes when necessary to address elevated patron emotion and/or to provide clarification related to policies and procedures.
* Project manager for the planning and relocation of large quantities of tangible library materials in the Eagle Commons Library which includes consulting with library faculty and staff about space problems and needs, assessing options and recommending solutions, and coordinating each phase of the physical move.
* Responsible for managing the shelving areas of ECL maximizing ease of access for faculty, students and staff.
* Work with the Library Services Manager to schedule, train, and supervise students on stacks projects.
* Staff ECL public services desks, providing in-depth research support requiring extensive knowledge of specialized sources; and/or provide instruction to patrons in the use of library systems, the Internet, and specialized equipment.
* Report monthly statistics.
* Assist with other projects as assigned.
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
The successful candidate will possess a Bachelor's Degree and one year of progressively responsible library experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience. The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are required:
* Extensive knowledge of library principles and policies, and knowledge of specialized area functions and workflows.
* Experience in working effectively with students, faculty, staff, and the community.
* Ability to utilize multiple computer applications toward increased productivity in a rapidly changing environment.
* Strong leadership skills.
* Excellent written and oral communication skills.
* Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
* Knowledge of safe working procedures and security measures related to work performed.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
* Knowledge of library principles and policies, and knowledge of functions and workflows of specialized areas within libraries
* Stacks and/or project management experience
* Excellent customer service skills
* Knowledge of library cataloging practices
* Strong leadership skills
* Good organizational skills
* Excellent written and oral communication skills
* Ability to follow instructions
* Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
* Shelving experience
* Knowledge of call number systems
* Strong attention to detail
* Ability to solve complex situations
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume, cover letter and three references with their online application.
Is this a security sensitive position?
Driving a University Vehicle?
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Salary commensurate with experience
Quicklink for Posting