Programmer, Integrated Library System
Job Description Summary:
I. JOB OVERVIEW
The George Washington University Libraries & Academic Innovation (GWLAI) is seeking applications for a Programmer, Integrated Library System (ILS). The successful candidate will combine a strong service orientation and experience in application development to ensure that GWLAI maintains and builds upon its commitment to excellence in facilitating information discovery that it delivers to the George Washington University (GWU) community.
The Programmer, ILS takes an innovative, service-centric approach to the management of the integrated library system and discovery systems. S/he will be responsible for managing the vendor-hosted ILS (Alma), discovery tool (Primo), and link resolver; and proxy authentication system (EZproxy). The Programmer, ILS will perform software development, front end design, and other tasks as required for the ongoing enhancement or maintenance of GWLAI custom software tools, primarily in support of information discovery. A successful candidate will be able to thoughtfully integrate library systems with other campus systems. These include but are not limited to: GWU student information systems, enterprise accounting systems, Blackboard, LibGuides, InterLibrary Loan, ArchivesSpace, and Hyrax. The Programmer, ILS will serve as part of GWLAI's Scholarly Technology Group which is composed of software developers, Librarians, IT professionals, and GIS specialists working on projects that include software development, digital collections, and research support initiatives.
Daily responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Manage and support the full software lifecycle from requirements to implementation, production support, enhancement, and maintenance
- Lead development or be in a supporting role in a wide range of collaborative software projects, from backend to frontend, using multiple languages and frameworks, with scopes big and small, on short deadlines and for ongoing projects.
- Extends functionality of systems and groups by performing requirement gathering, solution design, programming for new or existing tools, configuration, troubleshooting, training, and other management tasks and make any necessary software enhancements to improve service delivery in the ILS environment.
- Develop connections and/or automation that improves information delivery, business processes, reporting, and analytics.
- Leverage vendor-provided Application Program Interfaces (APIs) through original and community software development projects to create new user applications and support data-driven decision making
- Manage upgrades for the components of the information discovery ecosystem in cooperation with vendors and users
- Preparing technical documentation, creating unit tests, conducting training for users, and monitoring the operations of discovery and resource delivery systems
- Serve as a technical representative relating to library systems software, standards, and infrastructure at the Washington Research Library Consortium (WRLC). WRLC is a consortium of research Libraries in the Washington DC which supports and enhances the library and information services of its constituent members.
- Work with other GWLAI staff and consortial staff to improve processes, evolve systems, and think strategically to evolve our collections workflows.
The position is based at GW's Foggy Bottom Campus in Washington, DC. The incumbent may perform other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.Minimum Qualifications:
Qualified candidates will hold a Bachelor's degree in an appropriate area of specialization. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the position. Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience with Ex Libris Alma, Voyager, or other integrated library system
- Demonstrated experience designing, implementing, and supporting all aspects of software systems using one or more of Python, Ruby, Perl, or PHP, and comfort working with languages that are not your strongest.
- Experience working in an academic library or consortial library environment
- Front-end development experience using AngularJS or similar frameworks
- Knowledge of current or emerging bibliographic standards
- Demonstrated experience with and a preference for using free software and open source development practices, but no objection to using proprietary tools when appropriate.
II. JOB DETAILS
Campus Location: Foggy Bottom, Washington, D.C. College/School/Department: University Libraries Family Information Technology Sub-Family Data Administration Stream Individual Contributor Level Level 1 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hours Per Week: 40+ Work Schedule: Monday through Friday (8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.) Position Designation: Essential: Employees who perform functions that have been deemed essential to maintaining business or academic operations. Employees are generally expected to work from home during an event and may be asked to physically report to work. Telework: No Required Background Check: Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Special Instructions to Applicants:
Employer will not sponsor for employment Visa statusInternal Applicants Only? No Posting Number: S007203 Job Open Date: 05/09/2018 Job Close Date: If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until: Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * What is your salary range expectation?
(Open Ended Question)
- * Does the professional experience section of your resume include months?
- Cover Letter
Documents needed to Apply
- Cover Letter