Busy academic medical center seeks to find an experienced histotechnologist that will perform routine histology duties including, but not limited, to embedding, microtomy, staining and special stains.
This position possesses the ability to provide consistent and quality embedding of tissues in order to turn out slides of high quality on a wide variety of tissues. Plays critical role in ensuring slides are submitted to the Pathologist in a timely manner.
Will also be responsible for operating processors, stainers, and slide engraver, as well as, filing slides and blocks. Maintains confidentiality at all times. Adheres to organizational and department specific safety standards and guidelines. Works collaboratively and supports efforts of team members. Demonstrates exceptional customer service and interacts effectively with physicians, patients, residents, visitors, and staff. Attention to detail is a must.
The Laboratory Services department has a variety of specialties and areas. For additional information regarding the Laboratory Services department, please follow the link to view a departmental video. Click to View Video
Type of Position
Position Time Status
Click here for more information about equivalencies:
Required Related Experience
Required License/ Registration/Certification
Occasional lifting, pushing, and pulling of objects and/or patients greater than 50 lbs.; sitting and standing for long periods of time; exposure to blood borne/airborne pathogens; regular exposure to chemicals and fumes; repetitive motion required at least half the time; risk of back injury.
40 hours/week; shift may vary; holiday and weekend call required on rotational basis.
Tissue embedding, staining, microtomy and cutting frozen sections, routine histology experience.
Does this position have supervisory responsibilities?
HT or HTL certification and CoPath experience preferred.
Deadline to Apply
University Community of Inclusion
The University of Kentucky is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce by ensuring all our students, faculty, and staff work in an environment of openness and acceptance. We strive to foster a community where people of all backgrounds, identities, and perspectives can feel secure and welcome. We also value the well-being of each of our employees and are dedicated to creating a healthy place to work, learn and live. In the interest of maintaining a safe and healthy environment for our students, employees, patients and visitors the University of Kentucky is a Tobacco & Drug Free campus.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we strongly encourage veterans, individuals with disabilities, women, and all minorities to consider our employment opportunities.
Any candidate offered a position may be required to pass pre-employment screenings as mandated by University of Kentucky Human Resources. These screenings may include a national background check and/or drug screen.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * University of Kentucky HealthCare recognizes a set of values that guide us in our daily interactions. By applying for a position within UK Healthcare, you are indicating your commitment and expressing your agreement to our five values. These values are diversity, innovation, respect, compassion, and teamwork. Please choose one of the UK Healthcare values and give a specific example when you exhibited this quality in your professional experience.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please choose the answer that best describes your ASCP certification.
- HT (ASCP)
- HTL (ASCP)
- Other ASCP certification
- HT or HTL (ASCP) certification eligible
- * Please choose the answer that best describes your histology experience.
- More than 0, up through 1 year
- More than 1 year, up through 5 years
- More than 5 years
- * Please choose the answer that best describes your work hour availability.
- Any shift
- Day shift
- Evening shift
- Night shift
- * Describe your ability to multi-task in an environment where the priorities may change by the hour.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Where did you first see this position advertised other than on UK's online employment system?
- Diverseeducation.com (Diverse Issues in Higher Education)
- HERCjobs.org (Higher Education Recruitment Consortium)
- Institute for Diversity in Health Management
- A Colleague, Friend and/or Family Member
- None of the Above
- Cover Letter