Houston Community College (HCC) is an open-admission, public institution of higher education offering a high-quality, affordable education for academic advancement, workforce training, career development and lifelong learning to prepare individuals in our diverse communities for life and work in a global and technological society. We're proud to say that 98 percent of our graduates step into a job in their field of study immediately upon graduation. One of the largest community colleges in the nation, HCC has served the Greater Houston area for over four decades. Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and the Schools Commission on Colleges, we offer 300+ associate degree and certificate programs to 75,000+ students across 13 Centers of Excellence and online each semester. We are proud to be No.1 among all community colleges in the nation in providing associate degrees to minorities and No.1 in educating international students, with 10.4 percent of our student population from outside the USA. Our vision is to become the Employer of Choice in support of our mission for Student Success by attracting, retaining and motivating the best employees.
Play a central role at HCC as you keep our everyday operations running like clockwork. You'll get the chance to make things happen and work closely with inspiring leaders across different parts of the institution. Whether your role is supportive, administrative, financial or something else, you'll be part of a dynamic team that not only provides HCC students with cutting-edge academic and career tools, it also takes care of its people.
We are currently seeking an Accounting Specialist who will advance the institution's proud tradition of excellence in academics, student life and community service.
You: Math whiz. Statistics aficionado. Balancer of budgets.
Your mission: We're looking for someone to perform a broad range of accounting functions with lead responsibility for accounting records.
A typical day: You might be preparing annotated statistical reports or reconciling bank deposits in the morning, and working with another department to resolve financial issues in the afternoon. Whether you're coordinating the disbursement of employee and student checks, or reporting on fiscal activities, you'll be working with a great team in an environment of continuous learning.
Next steps: If striving for smooth financial operations is what you do best, and you want to contribute to HCC's student experience, your next step should be applying for this position. We look forward to hearing from you.
Houston is a city with limitless possibilities:
• Third-largest city in the U.S. and home to 54 Fortune 500 companies, second only to New York City's 55.
• 145 languages are spoken here.
• Overall after-taxes living costs are 5.6 percent below the average for all 308 urban areas recently surveyed.
• Houston is a major-league sports town, and don't forget the annual Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo.
• The weather is great! Mild winters ensure that outdoor activities can be enjoyed year-round.
• World-renowned medical care. The Houston metro area has long been known for its first-rate health care system, with many Houston area hospitals consistently ranking among the nation's top institutions.
• With over 150 museums and cultural institutions in the Greater Houston area, museums are a large part of Houston's cultural scene.
• Houston is the Culture & Culinary Capital of Texas with more than 7,500 restaurants and eating establishments covering 60+ cuisines.
If this sounds like the role for you and you're ready to join an amazing team, please apply right away.
It is the policy of the Houston Community College System to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity and expression, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation or veteran's status. Individuals with disabilities, who require special accommodations to interview, should contact the Employment Services Office at (713) 718-8565.
HCC values its employees and their contributions, promotes opportunities for their professional growth and development, and provides a positive working and learning environment that encourages diversity, innovation and creativity, and inclusion.
Under general supervision, perform a broad range of accounting functions with lead responsibility for accounting records.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Complete daily accounting processes accurately and effectively while following Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and established HCC guidelines;
- Participate in accounting year-end close activities including, but not limited to, identifying and preparing manual accruals, review and correct payment discrepancies, etc.;
- Participate in software testing and upgrades related to assigned area;
- Review, respond and/or take appropriate action in response to accounting process inquiries as related to assigned area;
- Assist with reconciling bank deposits, including verification of cashier's check out and determination of other reconciling items;
- Work closely with System personnel to ensure that corrections are properly made in a timely manner;
- Maintain up-to-date records for activity relating to cash transactions;
- Work with personnel in other departments within the College and the System to review and follow up on problems involving financial activities;
- Monitor expenditures with program directors and deans to ensure that the expenditures fall within College/System purchasing guidelines;
- Submit reports of all fiscal activities to the Director of Administrative Services monthly, or as needed;
- Prepare and send billings and/or payments for services provided by and to the college/system;
- Classify, verify, and record financial transactions or cost elements;
- Reconcile and balance accounts, reports, payroll edits, and resolve routine anomalies;
- Prepare tax reports for withholding, Social Security, and other taxes;
- Prepare annotated statistical reports, which detail financial operations (e.g., cash receipts and expenditures, accounts payable and receivable, profit and loss, etc.);
- Disseminate accounting information to staff as needed and identify additional information that could be made available;
- Perform incidental clerical work, including typing, sorting, filing, collating, preparing mailing lists;
- Initiate stop payment requests;
- Perform fund transfers;
- May verify work orders for authorized funds; and
- May perform tasks related to installment contracts.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential duties and responsibilities listed above. The qualifications listed below are representative of the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
Associate's degree required with at least six (6) college hours in Accounting. Four (4) years of directly related experience may be substituted in lieu of degree.
Three (3) years in general accounting experience required.
Experience with PeopleSoft preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Good communication and interpersonal skills;
- Knowledge of PC, MS Windows, Word, Excel, and Access;
- Knowledge of accounting practices and methods; and
- Strong mathematical skills.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by their supervisor.
This job description may be revised upon development of other duties and changes in responsibilities.