Enrollment Services Assistant
Houston Community College (HCC) is an open-admission, public institution of higher education offering a high-quality, affordable education for academic advancement, workforce training, career development and lifelong learning to prepare individuals in our diverse communities for life and work in a global and technological society. We're proud to say that 98 percent of our graduates step into a job in their field of study immediately upon graduation. One of the largest community colleges in the nation, HCC has served the Greater Houston area for over four decades. Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and the Schools Commission on Colleges, we offer 300+ associate degree and certificate programs to 75,000+ students across 13 Centers of Excellence and online each semester. We are proud to be No.1 among all community colleges in the nation in providing associate degrees to minorities and No.1 in educating international students, with 10.4 percent of our student population from outside the USA. Our vision is to become the Employer of Choice in support of our mission for Student Success by attracting, retaining and motivating the best employees.
Assist the Enrollment Associate/Officer or designee in coordinating, managing and auditing all college enrollment services to include registration, admissions and audit for compliance of state reporting.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Perform one or more of the various tasks required in processing a student's application for admissions, registration, data entry, online orientation, WEB enrollment, etc;
- Serve as a resource in providing general information over the phone and in person to students, faculty, staff and community;
- Inform students of the enrollment process (application, testing, FA, advising, registration, orientation, etc.);
- Collect all enrollment information, log items into student system, and scan documents (i.e. transcripts, test scores, residency documentation, etc.) ;
- Screen students and assure Texas Success Initiative (TSI) compliance (i.e. check status at initial contact, set milestones and groups, and term activate). Consult with associate/officer for items requiring professional judgment;
- Enter and verify scoring assessment (i.e. TSI status, ACT, SAT, etc.); and
- Troubleshoot and monitor the electronic lab.
High school diploma or equivalent required. Associate's degree preferred.
One (1) year experience in a student services related setting.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Good written and oral communication skills;
- Excellent customer service skills;
- Ability to communicate courteously and effectively with a diverse population;
- Demonstrate patience and tolerance in dealing with student problems ;
- Demonstrate computer literacy skills in PeopleSoft, Windows, Excel, Word, etc.; and
- Keen attentiveness to detail.
Houston is a city with limitless possibilities:
- Fourth-largest city in the U.S. and home to 54 Fortune 500 companies, second only to New York City's 55.
- Approximately 145 languages are spoken here.
- Overall after-taxes living costs are 5.6 percent below the average for all 308 urban areas recently surveyed.
- Houston is a major-league sports town, and don't forget the annual Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo.
- The weather is great! Mild winters ensure that outdoor activities can be enjoyed year-round.
- World-renowned medical care. The Houston metro area has long been known for its first-rate healthcare system, with many Houston area hospitals consistently ranking among the nation's top institutions.
- With over 150 museums and cultural institutions in the Greater Houston area, museums are a large part of Houston's cultural scene.
- Houston is the Culture & Culinary Capital of Texas with more than 7,500 restaurants and eating establishments covering 60+ cuisines.
If this sounds like the role for you and you're ready to join an amazing team, please apply right away.
Houston Community College does not discriminate on the bases of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity and expression, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation or veteran's status. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
David Cross, Director EEO/Compliance, Title IX Coordinator
Office of Institutional Equity
PO Box 667517
Houston TX, 77266
713 718.8271 or Institutional.Equity@hccs.edu
HCC values its employees and their contributions, promotes opportunities for their professional growth and development, and provides a positive working and learning environment that encourages diversity, innovation and creativity, and inclusion.
Individuals with disabilities, who require special accommodations to interview, should contact (713) 718-8565.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by their supervisor.
This job description may be revised upon development of other duties and changes in responsibilities.