Advisor Pathways and Case Management
Houston Community College (HCC) is an open-admission, public institution of higher education offering a high-quality, affordable education for academic advancement, workforce training, career development and lifelong learning to prepare individuals in our diverse communities for life and work in a global and technological society. We're proud to say that 98 percent of our graduates step into a job in their field of study immediately upon graduation. One of the largest community colleges in the nation, HCC has served the Greater Houston area for over four decades. Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and the Schools Commission on Colleges, we offer 300+ associate degree and certificate programs to 75,000+ students across 13 Centers of Excellence and online each semester. We are proud to be No.1 among all community colleges in the nation in providing associate degrees to minorities and No.1 in educating international students, with 10.4 percent of our student population from outside the USA. Our vision is to become the Employer of Choice in support of our mission for Student Success by attracting, retaining and motivating the best employees.
Play a central role at HCC as you keep our everyday operations running like clockwork. You'll get the chance to make things happen and work closely with inspiring leaders across different parts of the institution. Whether your role is supportive, administrative, financial or something else, you'll be part of a dynamic team that not only provides HCC students with cutting-edge academic and career tools, it also takes care of its people.
We are currently seeking an Advisor who will advance the institution's proud tradition of excellence in academics, student life and community service.
Partner with students, faculty, staff, instructional services, administrators, and the community in a proactive process which facilitates the development of intentional educational and career plans to help students achieve academic, personal, and professional goals. Advisors are responsible for informing prospective, new, and returning students of educational opportunities and requirements. Advisors will provide a high level of customer service support to their caseload of assigned students and assist as needed with walk-ins, peak registration, recruitment, orientation, and completion programs and initiatives. Advisors play a critical role in the implementation of relevant student services activities to increase retention rates, course completion rates and/or transfer to either a college/university, or the workforce.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- In collaboration with student, identify the appropriate educational and career options, assist with the analysis of each option, including possible outcomes and their implications; establish academic and career goals, and establish an action plan for students to explore alternative careers and related program adjacency;
- Identify options for students to satisfy degree requirements, evaluate and make recommendations, and or amendments to student's program of study;
- Use case management principles of advocacy, assessment, and service facilitation to advance the achievement of student goals and link students with appropriate resources throughout the educational continuum and beyond as necessary;
- Utilize available and appropriate technology to: monitor academic progress of students toward degree and/or certificate completion, identify current and potential academic needs, document ongoing case management activities, and document all pertinent student information and status updates;
- Teach students the skills to self-navigate to degree completion utilizing campus information, student on-line system, and campus resources;
- Assist students in the acquisition, usage and evaluation of information including college guidelines, catalogs and on-line resources;
- Interpret admissions assessment scores and advise students of appropriate placement, and coursework;
- Monitor caseloads to ensure that students are making adequate progress towards completion of chosen certificate or degree, and use available technology tools to send caseload messages regarding milestone attainment;
- Respond in a timely fashion to proactive "early alerts" of assigned students. Provide information and referrals to students needing services such as: tutoring, testing, career entry, counseling, financial aid, disability services, etc.;
- Provide information regarding student life opportunities to include student activities and recreational sports. Inform students of the benefits (i.e. leadership skills, team building, and, civic engagement);
- Provide information regarding the promotion of special programs and opportunities such as learning communities, bridge courses, honors programs, service learning, etc.;
- Inform students of procedures such as withdrawal, repeating coursework, advanced standing credit, graduation, etc.;
- Provide transfer planning to universities to include, joint admissions programs, articulation agreements, common course numbering system, and transfer plans;
- Provide assistance to students, parents and community agencies with accurate up-to- date information to make sound educational decisions;
- Attend annual professional development training as required;
- Assist with recruitment activities to include arranging on-site college visits for parents and students;
- Establish and maintain interdepartmental relationships with all student services and instructional programs;
- Participate in college committee work as recommended and approved by supervisor;
- Participate in at least one HCC student event per semester as scheduled and approved by supervisor; and
Participate in HCC graduation as required by Student Services leadership team.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential duties and responsibilities listed above. The qualifications listed below are representative of the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
Bachelor's degree required. Master's degree in a related field is preferred. .
Prefer two (2) years related work experience in post-secondary institution.
Experience with PeopleSoft is a plus.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Demonstrated experience with computers and database related software;
- Self-directed with the ability to work independently within changing deadlines;
- Must possess good interpersonal skills to perform successfully in a large multicultural environment;
- Experience in advising both traditional-aged students and adults in a higher education setting preferred;
- Well organized, task-oriented and flexible; and
Able to work flexible hours to include evenings and weekends.
Houston is a city with limitless possibilities:
• Fourth-largest city in the U.S. and home to 54 Fortune 500 companies, second only to New York City's 55.
• 145 languages are spoken here.
• Overall after-taxes living costs are 5.6 percent below the average for all 308 urban areas recently surveyed.
• Houston is a major-league sports town, and don't forget the annual Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo.
• The weather is great! Mild winters ensure that outdoor activities can be enjoyed year-round.
• World-renowned medical care. The Houston metro area has long been known for its first-rate health care system, with many Houston area hospitals consistently ranking among the nation's top institutions.
• With over 150 museums and cultural institutions in the Greater Houston area, museums are a large part of Houston's cultural scene.
• Houston is the Culture & Culinary Capital of Texas with more than 7,500 restaurants and eating establishments covering 60+ cuisines.
If this sounds like the role for you and you're ready to join an amazing team, please apply right away.
It is the policy of the Houston Community College System to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity and expression, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation or veteran's status. Individuals with disabilities, who require special accommodations to interview, should contact (713) 718-8565.
HCC values its employees and their contributions, promotes opportunities for their professional growth and development, and provides a positive working and learning environment that encourages diversity, innovation and creativity, and inclusion.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by their supervisor.
This job description may be revised upon development of other duties and changes in responsibilities.