Director, Course Faculty, General Education
The Director of General Education (Course Faculty) is responsible for the implementation and strategy for General Education course instruction across colleges to achieve positive student outcomes and support initiatives. The Director is responsible to ensure a collaborative strategy is fulfilled within their area of focus so that students engage in assigned courses, achieve academic progress, and experience a high level of satisfaction with their WGU education plan, and ultimately, graduation. The Director ensures operational success of the Course Faculty model within their assigned college.
The Director of General Education for Course Faculty provides exemplary leadership and ownership of the results and outcomes of a college. This includes the guidance of a high performing team of senior leaders who are collectively responsible for the management of personnel and operations for the courses and accountable across colleges. The Director of General Education for Course Faculty is available and accountable to members of his or her team and is responsible for the performance of its members. The Director demonstrates WGU’s “students-first” culture and leads his or her team, by example. The Director establishes clear performance expectations and delivers results, which are consistent with university goals and department responsibilities.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Uses deep analytical knowledge of interpreting complex data to meet business goals and objectives.
- Creates vision, strategy and goals, acting as a champion to achieve a culture of innovation.
- Oversees, develops and implements change management strategies within WGU.
- Develops and implement strategies and goals that will maximize the synergies among WGU by the development and delivery of high-quality programs and services for students.
- Partners with College Faculty Leadership and General Education Product Development to lead key initiatives and goals for student success categories of course completion, retention, student satisfaction, on-time progress, and graduation.
- Effectively leads high performing team of discipline-specific senior managers.
- Develops and implement systems to evaluate the skill, experience, and professional development needs of all Course Faculty staff.
- Collaborates with the leadership team to develop objectives, performance measurements across all sites, to ensure consistent, high-quality evaluation and goal setting for employees.
- Identifies and develops key drivers for employee engagement and measurements of success.
- Communicates WGU’s mission and strategic vision effectively, consistently, and leads by example.
- Provides effective direction and leadership to a large faculty in a high growth, distributed/ telecommuting environment.
- Collaborates with key stakeholders to develop and execute university-wide and department-specific programs and initiatives.
- Ensures the hiring, development, and retention of high-quality employees, on time and within budget.
- Experience using word processing, spreadsheet, database, internet, e-mail and scheduling applications.
- Extraordinary customer service and communication skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with ability to present information clearly and concisely.
- Exemplary presentation skills with the ability to translate quantitative and qualitative analyses into engaging, informative and persuasive communication in large and small group settings.
- Master’s degree in related field. Education must be from an accredited institution. Education is verified.
- Experience leading faculty and staff in an educational setting.
- Minimum of 5 years of senior-level leadership experience managing a variety of services within a complex environment.
- In depth experience in organizational leadership to include the ability to coach staff, manage priorities, develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, and managing department budgets.
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to business planning
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people
- The Director must be self-directed and hold a service-centric disposition with a high regard for integrity, trust, and a mission-driven philosophy.
Special Position Requirements
- Travel/Commute: available to travel to meetings as required.
- Thinks Strategically – Communicates to improve and promote teamwork, decision-making, and problem solving. Listens and responds effectively to the reactions and positions of others and encourages the expression of diverse ideas and opinions. Adjusts message and style to fit the audience. Provides timely and helpful feedback. Communicates appropriately to win support with all.
- Executes and Achieves Results – Works cooperatively with others across the organization to achieve shared objectives. Represents own interests while being fair to others and their ideas. Partners with others to get work done. Credits others for their contributions and accomplishments. Gains buy-in, trust, and support of others.
- Managerial Courage – Deals comfortably with the uncertainty of change. Effectively handles risk. Can decide and act without the total picture. Is calm and productive, even when things are up in the air. Deals constructively with problems that do not have clear solutions or outcomes.
- Develops Team and Individuals – Has a strong outcomes based orientation. Persists in accomplishing objectives despite obstacles and setbacks. Has a track record of successfully exceeding goals. Pushes self and helps others achieve results to positively influence WGU and our students. Has a continuous improvement mindset.
- Fiscal Responsibility – Clear ownership and delivery of revenue and cost budgets.
- Leads Change – Is an agent for change, influences others to accept change. Effectively demonstrates own ability to change, shifts gears comfortably, decides and acts without having the complete picture; comfortably handles risk and uncertainty.
- Student Obsession We start with our students in everything we do and every decision we make. We keep our mission at the core of all our decisions and never lose sight of the end goal. Everyday we strive to live up to the WGU promise.
- Innovation We expect fresh thinking and look for new ideas everywhere. We are willing to slough off the past in favor of advancing our future. We are comfortable being first and taking calculated risks to overcome great challenges.
- Learning We value continuous growth and development. Self-improvement is never complete; it is constantly being enhanced. We expand our knowledge base through ongoing curiosity and an openness to feedback and criticism. We benchmark ourselves against the best.
- Inspire & Develop Through our actions and behaviors, we inspire others to do their best work and recognize team and individual contributions. We develop leaders and take seriously our role in developing others.
- Urgency We respond to and act on all challenges in a timely manner. We are efficient and careful with our time.
- Courage Big, bold thinking. We have the grit and fearlessness to push ourselves to achieve great things. We do what is right, not what is popular. We stand for what we believe in.
- Ownership We act on behalf of the university and care for students as if they were family. We think long term and take accountability for our actions and responsibilities. We operate at all levels. We never say, “that’s not my job”.
- Deliver Results We strive for excellence in performance in all facets of the university. Our deliverables are timely with the right quality. We don’t settle. We foster an atmosphere that breeds creativity and innovation while always meeting the needs of our students.
- Integrity We do what is right even when no one is watching. This is the basis of our character and is foundational to how we interact with all people. WGU demands uncompromised integrity from everyone in all interactions and responsibilities.
- Earn Trust We genuinely listen, speak directly, and treat others with respect. We are sincerely open-minded and examine even our strongest convictions with humility. We know we must earn our reputation every day.
Any WGU Office Location, United States