The Academic Advisor provides academic advisement for prospective, current, and former students within a specified undergraduate academic department or equivalent unit of a college. Assesses academic level, attends to student academic inquiries, assists in the resolution of individual academic problems, and advises on academic program changes. Advises and assists students in the development of academic plans and class schedules Analyzes applications, transfer evaluations, and transcripts for entry and exit from the university.
• Answers student inquiries and resolves problems related to curriculum and course prerequisites, referring to catalogues, written course descriptions, and other appropriate sources.
• Receives and reviews transcripts to ensure eligibility for admission to a specific college or program including evaluation of transfer credits and applicability of academic credit to program requirements.
• Reviews student files to ensure deadlines are met for completing various graduation requirements such as coursework requirements, theses, comprehensive examinations, and other specific program requirements.
• Assists students in the selection of appropriate courses and concentrations in terms of students' stated preferences.
• Initiates and maintains individual student files as appropriate, updating and evaluating file as new information is received.
• Reviews student grade reports each semester to determine probation and/or suspension based on academic regulations of university; notifies and places students on probation or suspension; returns students to regular status after sufficient progress is made.
• Assists faculty advisement, athletic coaches, and/or other counseling personnel by providing records, evaluations, interpretations, and other requested data, recommendations and conclusions.
• Performs supplemental administrative activities such as scheduling meetings and interviews, securing requested information, verifying and maintaining computerized data files, and preparing summary reports.
The University of Miami is home to some of the brightest minds in the world. We are committed to educating and nurturing students, creating knowledge, and providing service to our community and beyond. The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental benefits, tuition remission, vacation, paid holidays and much more. The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Come join us!]]>