Associate Vice President of Communications and Institutional Advancement
Providing overall leadership for Institutional communications, marketing, public relations and community affairs. The Associate Vice President of Communications and Institutional Advancement will be responsible for a comprehensive and integrated communications & Institutional advancement strategy, internal and external communications and public relations in support of the institution while enhancing the image of the college. The position will concentrate on developing strong relationships with local and regional media, directing community engagement and supervising the messaging aspects of the college and will provide visionary leadership for all areas of the division with broad oversight for grants, research & instructional effectiveness, and institutional planning & accreditation in alignment with the mission and for the advancement of the college.
1. Work with various campus constituencies, including members of the administrative teams, deans, faculty, staff and students to develop and produce effective communications materials, and electronic media production.
2. Identify, develop and manage a strategic communication plan of action for the college, and evaluate for effectiveness.
3. Develop written communications, messaging and content and advise senior leadership on communications strategies.
4. Provide leadership in organizing a positive public opinion climate for the college.
5. Develop, manage, and implement ongoing planning and execution of the college marketing, advertising, public relations, communications, and related special events.
6. Manage and direct brand imaging and integrated communication in collaboration with marketing staff and the institutional strategic plan.
7. Implement annual go-to-market plans in support of the college's Strategic Plan.
8. Attend campus and community events representing the college.
9. Recommend new techniques, best practices and approaches to increase the effectiveness of the college's communication plan.
10. Serve as the institution's chief public relations officer and official liaison between the college and the media, directing strategic public/governmental initiatives of the college.
11. With closely with the College President and the President's Cabinet in all aspects of institutional advancement.
12. Provide monthly reports of activity and outcomes.
13. Provide leadership and direct support on crisis communications, working closely with the crisis communications team and senior leadership.
14. Responsible for development short and long-term goals and objectives for the Communications and Institutional Advancement division of the college.
15. Conducts market studies to investigate the potential for new student enrollment.
16. Responsible for overseeing the preparation of budgets and monitoring the expenditures for those department reporting to the Associate Vice President of Communications and Institutional Advancement.
17. Supervises the selection, evaluation, promotion and termination for all staff in Communications and Institutional Advancement and makes appropriate recommendations to the President.
18. Assumes liaison role with Academic Affairs, Student Affairs and Business Services in coordination of institutional priorities.
19. Serves on appropriate college committees.
20. Performs other duties as assigned by the President.
Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, Community Relations, Grants, Research & Institutional Effectiveness, Planning & Accreditation, and Administrative Assistant
Master's degree required. Five to seven years management experience in Communications, Public Relations, and Higher Education required. Community College experience preferred.
Experience in communications, marketing, and public relations including 3-5 years in a strategic communications leadership role, supervising a marketing/public relations team of professionals. Experience in working with governmental agencies and elected officials to advocate for college needs. Demonstrated expertise with emerging marketing communications trends, best practices, and social media. Demonstrated experience implementing effective integrated marketing, branding, public relations, digital/online, design and communications prinicipals and strategies. Demonstrated effective fiscal management, policy development, directing department operations and developing staff.
Strong working knowledge of best practices and current techniques related to Communications, Public Relations, Marketing, Public Administration and Governmental Affairs. Knowledge of principles and practices of communications, marketing, planning, and implementation. Knowledge in working with government local/ State/Federal to advocate for colleges initiatives. Understanding of and commitment to the mission of community colleges.
Demonstrated organization and interpersonal skills. The ability to lead & motivate, and to manage multiple projects and assignments with excellent organization, delivery, creativity, planning and attention to detail in collaboration with others. Superior written, editing, verbal communication skills and analytical research skills. Demonstrated communications, marketing, public relations and design skills and knowledge, including excellent marketing copywriting, new writing, effective layout and design.