Payroll Business Analyst
ITS Enterprise Applications develops and implements software solutions for University enterprises and other campus users. The team supports existing applications within the University’s ConnectCarolina enterprise report management system, including ConnectCarolina’s finance, human resources and payroll pieces and Student Administration (formerly Campus Solutions).
The primary purpose of this position is to serve as the senior PeopleSoft Business Analyst for Payroll. Payroll is part of ConnectCarolina which is the name for the University’s ERP Implementation of PeopleSoft for Administrative users across Student, HR/Payroll, Finance, Enterprise Reporting and related applications. Responsibilities include working with ConnectCarolina team members, Payroll staff and customers to ensure the Payroll capability within ConnectCarolina operates effectively and efficiently and integrates well with the Finance and HR modules; serving as an expert for how the Payroll system should be setup; identifying high level business and system requirements and developing strategies to implement them; and negotiating resolutions of conflicting requirements and recommending business process changes where applicable. This position will have knowledge of external trends in payroll and of best practices that can be applied to ConnectCarolina. In addition, the position will perform the following duties:
• Act as a functional resource for technology development requests including projects, small enhancements, upgrades, patches and break fix issues within the Payroll module.
• Monitor production support issues and ticket queues for payroll. This position would understand PeopleSoft data structures and be able to effectively solve complex issues.
• Gather and synthesize functional specifications to design, develop, enhance, implement, and maintain system applications.
• Perform independent system analysis, unit/system testing, and debugging.
• Analyze current processes and evaluate more efficient solutions where needed. Investigate PeopleSoft functionality not currently utilized and make recommendations for future implementations.
• Develop and provide complex reporting solutions using PS Query and/or SQL
• Maintain existing and develop new interfaces to external systems
• Trouble-shoot and resolve tickets and reported application issues, provide support for system testing
• Serve as the primary backup for the functional office Payroll Business Analyst
• This role works primarily with the ConnectCarolina team in ITS but will also spend a significant amount of time working at the Payroll Office with the Payroll team
The following is required:
• Works independently on tasks, develops own work schedule and monitors progress against defined parameters.
• Strong communication skills.
• Functional support experience in PeopleSoft required.
• Experience using PS Query is required or a similar ad-hoc query tool that proficiency has been acquired in.
• The position requires experience leading sessions to review and document business processes, and the ability to communicate clearly and concisely in writing and verbally.
• The role requires someone with strong interpersonal skills who can interact with people at various levels of the organization effectively.
• The position demands strong analytical and problem solving skills and the ability to lead the discussion of topic driven meetings. The role requires someone with a strong customer service focus.
• Must have experience in a production support environment and be able to perform detailed root cause analysis and resolution.
• Must possess attention to detail and be able to manage multiple tasks concurrently.
• The candidate needs to have strong knowledge of Microsoft Office products including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Visio.
The following experience is also preferred:
• Prefer prior experience in a business analyst role for three or more years in Payroll.
• Prefer experience working with PeopleSoft Payroll. Experience with another non-PeopleSoft ERP Payroll and/or ERP HR/Benefits systems is also acceptable.
• The ideal candidate has ERP implementation or maintenance experience in large, complex enterprises such as UNC Chapel Hill.
• Prior experience working in Higher Education is preferred.
Bachelor’s Degree preferred. Bachelor’s degree in a discipline related to the area of assignment; or equivalent combination of training and experience. All degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.
Information Technology Services: http://its.unc.edu/
Interested applicants must go to the UNC-CH job search page to apply for this position:
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a protected veteran.