Assistant Director Academic Services - Division of Intercollegiate Athletics ( A1800282 )
~~Notice of Position Vacancy
University of Illinois
Division of Intercollegiate Athletics
Position: Assistant Director Academic Services/Learning Services
100% Academic Professional appointment, 12 month appointment
Primary Position Function/Summary:
Coordinate services for student-athletes with learning disabilities (primarily for Football program)
Major Duties and Responsibilities
• Assess, address, and implement programs specifically designed for the learning of student-athletes
• Assist in monitoring of academic progress for student athletes, particularly in the Football program
• Work in conjunction with Campus units to review and implement individual student athlete 504 plans and Individualized Education Plans (IEP) and psychoeducational assessments. Ability to read, create, and assist with implementation of plans for students based on the information
• Assist in the development and delivery of learning strategy programming for student athletes
• Provide an individualized program to meet the desired academic and personal development goals
• Teach compensatory techniques to help students understand their learning strengths and weaknesses to foster academic success
• Assist in evaluating recruits in areas related to academics, in addition serve as resource to families of recruits
• Assist in hiring, training, assigning work and evaluating performance of graduate assistants, interns, and student staff
• Participate in overall planning and presenting at summer and fall new and transfer student orientation programs
• Create summer transition programming for at-risk student athletes in conjunction with the student-athlete summer course
• Work compatibly and cooperatively with all personnel within the Division of Intercollegiate Athletics and on the University of Illinois campus
• Serve as liaison to campus resources such as disability services and counseling center
• Facilitate and provide guidance and direction for workshop development and implementation through Student-Athlete Development program.
• Supervise, training and evaluate other learning specialists
• Coordinate all educational testing needs
• Serve as liaison to both DRES and sports med office and attend those units periodic staff meetings
• Coordinate all summer screening needs for incoming student-athletes and have ability to read screening results
• Work with director to assess software and technology needs for all student-athletes and provide guidance on department technology needs
• Must be available to work some evenings and weekends
• Maintain knowledge of and compliance with specific NCAA, Big Ten Conference and institution rules that relate to this position
Master's degree in Education required (Special Education, Educational Psychology, Counseling, other related programs).
Must possess strong written and oral communications skills.
Experience in working with college student programming and/or learning resource centers is preferred.
Must demonstrate teaching expertise, especially utilizing learning accommodations for students with disabilities and/or deficiencies.
3-5 years as a learning specialist (or comparable experience w/ academically at risk students)
Experience with high profile sports
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications.
Starting Date: As soon as possible after closing date.
Application: To receive full consideration, application materials must be received on or before May 22, 2018. Please complete your candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload a letter of application, resume, link to online portfolio, names of three references, and proof of academic credentials. Applications not submitted through this website will not be considered. For further information regarding application procedures, contact Marlon Dechausay, email@example.com
Interviews may take place prior to closing date. All applications will be given full consideration.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: Division of Intercollegiate Athletics
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Assistant Director Academic Services - Division of Intercollegiate Athletics ( A1800282 )
Open Date: 05/08/2018
Close Date: 05/22/2018
Organization Name: Intercollegiate Athletics