Application and System Engineer - Carle Illinois College of Medicine ( A1800283 )
Application and System Engineer
Carle Illinois College of Medicine
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (Illinois) and Carle Health System (Carle) have embarked on an exciting endeavor by creating the nation's first engineering-based college of medicine. The Carle Illinois College of Medicine is seeking an Application and System Engineer to support the academic success of highly selective students in an innovatively designed curriculum.
The Application and System Engineer is responsible for the design, implementation, integration and continuous support of high-value technology projects that are complex, innovative, and specialized. The Application and System Engineer will also serve as an expert for internal, external and college-specific systems and applications, ensuring a highly responsive and largely automated technology integration model. In addition, the person in this role will continuously assess the effectiveness of technology applications in order to respond to the evolving needs of the college.
This is a rare opportunity to join an enthusiastically engaged, multi-disciplinary group of academic scholars, health care professionals, and specialists in medical education at the intersection of engineering, biological, and clinical sciences. This is a full-time, benefits eligible Academic Professional position. Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications. The start date will be as soon as possible after the close of the search.
- Systems and Data Integration - Integrate campus and vendor systems to export, import, and translate data in an automated manner and to consolidate data for analytical and academic (progress, feedback, etc.) purposes. Systems generating and housing data that need to be consolidated for administrative and analytic purposes include: AMCAS (Data Exchange Service), Slate, E*Value, Firecracker, Compass, CITL Systems, Banner/EDW, and Student Progress Dashboards.
- Application and Web Development - In partnership with college leadership design, develop and implement an integrated structure of web based systems and applications.
- Work closely with the college Marketing & Communications group to provide college-specific web development and implement their visual designs and branding for the web.
- Develop strategies for the architecture, design, development and continuous improvement of web-based information systems for the college.
- Design and implement innovative web projects and applications that meet the specific education, business, and research needs of the college.
- Oversee the integration and security of college, campus, and University-level data into college web applications.
- Database Administration - Design, implement, and maintain databases storing college-specific data, and implement front-end interfaces for this data. Database administration to include:
- Develop strategies for the architecture, design, and development of database information system strategies for the college. Design and implement database projects and applications aligned with these strategies.
- Administer the security of the college's database systems and insure integrity and continuity of database services.
- Implement the integration of campus and University-level data into college database systems; develop functionality to provide specialized administrative and academic reports. Integrate data with external systems that are integral to the academic activities of the college.
- Monitor and investigate new technologies for database performance, access, and management.
- Systems Administration - Provide college-level administration for a limited number of systems and servers.
- Evaluate current systems and services for efficiency and improvement. Research and recommend upgrades, new technology uses, etc.
- Evaluate system security and implement security best-practices, University security standards and policies.
- Responsible for the administration and maintenance of user- and group-level authorization and access control.
- Monitor and maintain college servers.
- Technical Administrative Support - Provide high-level system support to faculty, staff, and students for college-specific systems. Provide support and serve as a resource in the absence of the Director, and, in a limited capacity for the simulation center.
- Additional Responsibilities:
- On behalf of the Director, serve as secondary contact with external IT groups, such as Technology Services, AITS, Engineering IT, and other non-college IT entities to represent the college in campus and University IT groups, and, to coordinate access to college, campus, and University systems.
- Participate in appropriate national organizations to keep abreast of new concepts to provide optimal and continually updated technologies and service to the Carle Illinois College of Medicine's needs.
- Support the educational mission of the college, maintaining appropriate confidentiality of information and materials, in accordance with related student and patient regulations, such as FERPA and HIPAA.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships; work cooperatively and collegially with others in a manner consistent with a workplace of dignity and respect; support and engage in equal employment opportunity principles, rules, and regulations.
- Foster a culture of diversity and inclusion within the Carle-Illinois College of Medicine.
- Champion positive inter-professional relationships bridging the college's private/public organization and missions.
Required education: Bachelor's degree in a field related to information technology. Other degree fields may be considered if in a related area of study.
Preferred education: Master's degree in an area related to information technologies.
Required experience, skills and abilities include:
- Minimum of 5 years of progressive experience in information technology or a closely related field with the University of Illinois (preferably college-level experience).
- Demonstrated experience in the support of IT systems, applications and servers.
- Demonstrated experience with Microsoft SQL Server, recent Windows Server OS versions, and Active Directory.
- Must be willing to learn all aspects of the college's operational and strategic objectives.
- Evidence of excellent collaboration skills, with the ability to cultivate relationships to think creatively and solve problems.
- Effective use of strong interpersonal and communications skills that incorporate tact and diplomacy.
- Strong ability to work independently and collaboratively.
- The position requires a strong work ethic, an approachable leadership style, and a consistent focus on the college's immediate and strategic goals.
- Working knowledge of Linux, Apache, MySQL/MariaDB, and PHP.
- The individual holding this position must have strong project management and team-building skills, as well as the ability to work cooperatively with all constituencies in a unique environment of engineering-based medical education in the context of the Carle and Illinois private/public relationship.
Preferred experience, skills and abilities include:
- Experience in a medical school environment strongly preferred.
- Experience with Technolutions Slate admissions system and AMCAS Data Exchange Service.
- Experience with IT best practices and processes in the areas of software development, service design, information security, and change management.
- Knowledge of student and patient privacy regulations (FERPA, HIPAA, etc.).
Procedure for candidacy:
For more information on the Carle Illinois College of Medicine, please visit https://medicine.illinois.edu/. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, and review of applications will begin immediately. For fullest consideration, applicant materials should be received by no later than May 22, 2018. Interested candidates must create a candidate profile through https://jobs.illinois.edu/ submit an application, resume, and a letter of interest. Also required is a list of names and contact information of three professional references. For further information regarding application procedures, contact Jennifer Steiling at email@example.com.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: Office of the Provost
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Application and System Engineer - Carle Illinois College of Medicine ( A1800283 )
Open Date: 05/08/2018
Close Date: 05/22/2018
Organization Name: Carle IL COM Administration