This role will deliver HR solutions in a number of key areas, such as employee relations, policy development, ADA and other leaves of absence, compensation management, performance management, and training and organizational development. As a member of a cross-functional team, reporting to the Director of HR Services, the HR Generalist will partner with other members of the HR services team, and work collaboratively with all levels of management and staff to implement HR policies, practices and procedures and to actively contribute to Bucknell's efforts to foster an inclusive, diverse campus community.
Human Resources supports the University's mission of excellence in teaching, critical thinking and intellectual exploration through strategic innovation and comprehensive services. The HR Generalist will ensure that Bucknell's programs, policies, and practices support the diversity, equity, and inclusion goals of the University
This is a full-time, 12 month, exempt, benefits eligible position.
• Working with an identified group of University employees, provide advice, guidance and decisions on HR matters to managers and staff.
• Identify and analyze employee relations situations and recommend appropriate employment action to maintain a productive work environment.
• Conduct timely and thorough investigations with general supervision, recommend solutions to issues, and counsel employees.
• Advise managers on progressive discipline process, highlighting the legal requirements and ramifications, and adjudicate complex employee relations (ER) issues.
• Facilitate dispute resolution within departments/divisions as necessary to ensure the consistent, uniform and fair application of University policies and procedures. Provide appropriate balance and perspective for both the needs of the employee and the University.
• Manage disciplinary actions within departments/divisions to ensure the consistent, uniform and fair application of University policies and procedures.
• Manage risk by ensuring employment actions are in compliance with local, state and federal employment requirements.
• Assist in the research, development, and writing of new and existing policies, forms, and procedures. Educate and train campus constituents accordingly in interpretation and application of policies and procedures.
• Support the development and strategic implementation of policies, procedures and tools to support performance management, communication and relationship building while fostering positive relationships between employees and managers.
• Participate in campus-wide strategic projects, committees and working groups.
• Stay current on recent federal, state and case law changes and monitors labor law updates and newsletters for changes that may affect HR.
• Assist with the interpretation and administration of all leave programs and policies in accordance with applicable federal and state employment laws.
• Manage the administration of all and support members of the Benefits and HRIS team with the day-to-day administration of all leaves of absence including Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), American's with Disabilities Act (ADA), personal leaves of absence and short/long-term disability.
• Monitor compliance with ADA, and other leaves of absence.
• Collaborate with employees and department managers to assist in processing, evaluating and responding to ADA, and other requests for accommodation or absence.
• Maintain thorough knowledge of ADA, FMLA and other leave of absence benefits to effectively serve as a liaison between staff, supervisors, department heads and the University.
• Partner with Training and Organizational Development Manager to create and deliver solutions to managers and their departments. Align training solutions to organizational problems and priorities. Conduct training for clients on general human resource topics.
• Assist the Compensation Manager with projects, procedures, data analysis and or data entry/upload related to compensation surveys, staff merit process, and implementation of the University's Salary Administration program.
• Coordinate workforce and talent management efforts with clients relative to establishing solid promotion rationales, collaborating with Compensation on offers, salary actions, audits and the annual merit increase process.
• Under the direction of the Director of HR Services, supports the employment services team members to assist clients with recruiting, compensation and staffing needs.
• Support and contribute to the University's commitment to diversity and inclusion.
• Perform other duties as required or requested.
• A bachelor's degree and 4-6 years' of related HR generalist experience.
• Previous experience assisting with employee relations investigations, action and follow-up. Knowledge of FMLA/ADA compliance.
• Experience writing, communicating and administering policies and procedures.
• Demonstrated effective verbal and written communication skills, interpersonal skills and the ability to present effectively to small and large groups and facilitate discussion.
• Advanced level of technical proficiency in relevant applications such as MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), HRIS or other systems to effectively gather, interpret, organize, and present data.
• Demonstrated sound judgment and critical thinking skills; ability to manage multiple priorities and administer broad range of tasks including resolving complaints, coaching and counseling managers and employees on policies and procedures.
• Ability to collaborate, influence and command the respect and confidence of campus partners and have the capacity to deal with a wide range of relationships and situations.
• Strong organizational skills; evidence of self-motivation; demonstrated ability to plan, schedule and work both independently and in teams within a service oriented organization.
• Demonstrated success managing multiple projects and competing priorities while balancing the need for quality with meeting deadlines.
• HR certification (PHR, SPHR, SHRM-CP, SHRM-SCP)
• Experience in higher education or a service-oriented organization
Bucknell University provides equal opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, marital status, veteran status or disability in admissions, employment and in all of its educational programs and activities.
Bucknell University is a private, highly selective, unique national University where liberal arts and strong professional programs in engineering, business, education and music complement each other. We seek candidates who are committed to Bucknell's efforts to create a climate that fosters the growth and development of a diverse student body, and we welcome applications from members of groups that have been historically underrepresented in higher education. Bucknell is a NCAA Division I (FCS) and Patriot League member institution that sponsors 27 varsity athletics programs. Located in Central Pennsylvania along the Susquehanna River, Bucknell is nestled in the Borough of Lewisburg, an architectural gem that has been ranked as one of America's best small towns. The Lewisburg area offers a unique combination of outdoor recreation opportunities, and appealing amenities such as art galleries, an art deco theater, historic museums, and charming independent boutiques and restaurants. In addition to the many cultural and athletic events offered by the University and the Borough, the surrounding region offers outstanding schools, medical facilities, and an affordable cost of living. For those who crave the city, Bucknell is within an easy three-hour drive to Philadelphia, New York, Baltimore, and Washington, D.C.