Position Number 999935
Functional Title Fitness Coordinator
Position Type Administration - Staff
The Fitness Coordinator, under the supervision of the Assistant Director of Fitness, is responsible for daily management of a comprehensive fitness department that includes Personal Training, Group Exercise, Fitness Assistant staff, Instructional Programs, Small Group Training and day-to-day operations of fitness-related areas. The coordinator will act as direct lead for informal fitness operations, with co-ownership responsibilities in Group Exercise, Personal Training and Instructional programs.
•Develop, implement, maintain and assess fitness programming based on needs of students and wider UNCG community
•Hires, trains, supervises, and evaluates undergraduate Fitness Assistant employees.
• Assist with the assessment, evaluation of learning outcomes for the student employees.
• Assist with the management of program area budgets.
•Co-manage the group exercise and personal training programs.
•Manage the day-to-day operations of the Leonard J. Kaplan Center for Wellness fitness areas including; 23,000 sq.ft. of informal fitness space, five group exercise studios, an Olympic lifting studio, an outdoor rooftop fitness space, Mat Room and Personal Training Suite.
• Develop, execute and assess fitness events for students and broader university community.
•Develop and execute marketing strategies to maximize programming attendance.
• Teach group exercise classes and/or train clients on an as needed basis.
•Coordinate, create and assess educational experiences for student staff including fitness certifications (ACE, AFAA, LES MILLS, etc.) and student development/professional development opportunities.
•Co-teach the non-credit ACE PT preparatory course.
•Assist with managing existing and developing new collaborative programming in and outside the Department of Recreation & Wellness.
• Collaborate with the department, campus and community entities on relevant joint initiatives.
•Actively participate in departmental development and operations committees.
•Uphold and execute the department and university mission and values.
•Serve on university committees.
•Works outside of normal office hours and weekends, as required.
•Perform other related duties as assigned.
1. Bachelor's degree in Sport Management, Exercise Science/Kinesiology or related field from a 4-year accredited institution.
2. Two years professional experience in recreation, athletics or fitness in higher education or commercial setting (completion of a Graduate Assistantship will be counted in professional experience).
3. Nationally recognized fitness certifications in Group Exercise and/or Personal Training.
4. An excellent team-player and able to successfully work independently and in collaborative groups.
5. Excellent written and verbal skills with competencies in emerging technologies.
6. American Red Cross CPR/AED and First Aid or able to attain within first three months.
7. Drivers license required.
8. Some nights and weekends required.
1. Master's Degree in Sport Management, Exercise Science/Kinesiology or related field from a 4-year accredited institution.
2. Experience in higher education recreation.
3. American Red Cross Instructor certification.
4. Budgetary and/or equipment purchasing.
5. Marketing, promotions, communications and event-hosting experience.
6. Competent in recreation/fitness software including, but non-limited to: Fusion, Connect2 and Time Clock Plus.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants are asked to provide the names, email addresses, and phone numbers of at least three (3) contacts to provide Letters of Recommendation, in the References section of the electronic application. These contacts will be solicited by the UNCGjobsearch system via email, and asked to provide a confidential Letter of Recommendation on behalf of the applicant. This will occur after the candidate is selected and approved for interview.
In addition to that, applicants are required to upload the following documents with their electronic application:
List of References
List of references should include:
Type of reference (Professional, Supervisor, Colleague, Academic or Personal). One (1) of those references will need to be a current or previous supervisor.
Contact Phone Number
Applications are not successfully submitted until an online confirmation number has been received at the end of the application process.
Recruitment Range Commensurate with education and experience.
Org #-Department Department of Recreation and Wellness - 44801
Job Open Date 05/08/2018
For Best Consideration Date 05/28/2018
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled Yes
Type of Appointment Permanent
Number of Months per Year 12
- Cover Letter
- List of References
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Please indicate how you learned of the vacant position for which you are applying:
- UNCGjobsearch Website
- Piedmont Triad Area Newspaper
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Inside Higher Ed
- Other professional journal / website
- UNC School System Job Board
- Personal Networking
- If you selected "Other", please provide the name of the resource here.
(Open Ended Question)
To learn more or to apply for this position please visit our UNCGjobsearch website at https://jobsearch.uncg.edu