Job Number: 78437
Job Code: 4731
Job Grade: G
Computer Resource Consulting (CRC) here at Stanford is looking for a Technical Specialist to provide desktop support to our world-class institution. That's our working title for people have a bit of experience in technology support, but are also passionate about learning more. Ideal Technical Specialists love to help others, have a passion for tech, don't sweat the small stuff, enjoy variety, and want to learn more.
Wanting to learn will serve you well, as what you will be responsible for in our organization is different than many other places that do IT support. We are an internal service center (meaning we charge Stanford for our services), but we are still Stanford employees. We balance “running a great business” and “doing the right thing.” We know we do a great job because our clients love us, and we take pride in that. Instead of puffing ourselves way up, maybe it's best to illustrate things with dos and don'ts.
We don't have:
- Mandated standards that everyone follows
- Policies that you can refer back to if clients get frustrated
- A lot of downtime (honestly, it's basically always busy, or if it's not we're working on the next big thing)
- Lots of free food
- A case of the Mondays
- Teams that support each other
- Lots of variety & opportunities
- Strong, supportive relationships with other awesome IT groups around Stanford's campus
- A focus on health & wellbeing (be it work-life balance, stress, mental health, etc)
Oh, and did I mention that our clients span all the variety of Stanford? We support groups from the Football team to Arctic researchers, faculty, staff, graduate students, and everyone in between. They all do amazing things, and we're a part of that. If this sounds exciting, why are you still reading? Apply already. We promise to at least call you back.
We do have a more typical description of duties & qualifications, which even if not particularly engaging, might help as well.
Specific duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Configure devices for client use using internally developed and vendor provided build tools. Deploy new and replacement equipment to clients and configure for their specific use. Provide on-the-spot training and answer questions about new equipment, features, or changes.
- Responsible for responding to customer calls, resolving technical issues, and answering inquiries related to printers, mobile devices, projectors, displays, and computer equipment.
- Ensuring audio-visual setups in conference rooms are configured correctly and working. Proactively check these configurations and identify and fix issues.
- Attending meetings, tending to administrative functions, and performing other duties as assigned.
- Knowing the latest about University information system/desktop/security standards and initiatives.
- Researching, recommending, and implementing solutions for customers to meet individual business needs and help ensure compatibility with University systems/architecture.
- Craft and maintain documentation for client services and internal best practices.
- 1-3 years' experience providing technical support, or equivalent combination of related education and/or professional experience
- Demonstrate an ability to work calmly, professionally, and with attention to detail, and with a solid focus on client service.
- A real passion for support of technology
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience installing operating systems using enterprise endpoint management systems is a plus
- Demonstrate an ability to adapt to and work well within a team environment.
- Ability to work on multiple projects and under strict deadlines.
- Ability to lift up to 30 pounds.
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.
Location: Business Affairs, California, United States
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.