Summer Resident Advisor
In support of the McNair Summer Research Institute, we are seeking applications for two (2) Summer Resident Advisor positions. The role of the summer resident advisor is to provide resident hall supervision to McNair Scholars Program participants for eight (8) weeks during the summer; enforce all rules and regulations governing the McNair Scholars Program; be accountable for students at all times; accompany students on all on and off campus trips; and attend all scheduled meetings. The 2018 McNair Summer Research Institute will be held May 29, 2018 through July 20, 2018, and Summer Resident Advisors will be required to work Sunday through Friday each week.
Duties and Responsibilities
- On call 24-hours a day for the duration of the Summer Research Institute
- Plans and conduct special events in residence halls
- Supervises students during evening activities
- Ensures hall security to maintain the health and safety of participants
- Maintains sufficient communication with program staff and participants to ensure efficient program operation
- Monitors participants for the duration of the summer program and trips
- Ensures that all participants are in their rooms and remain there after lights are out
- Attends all program functions with participants
- Attends weekly staff meetings
- Maintains necessary discipline and harmonious relationships with participants and staff
- Assists others with programming to ensure that all classes, activities, and events are
- Reports to respective staff with regards to any problems and/or disciplinary measures during program activities and field trips
- Reports immediately to appropriate staff any serious misbehavior from a participant,
his/her guest or any extreme situation
- Performs other job-related tasks as assigned
Bachelor's Degree required, preferably in a STEM field, with a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.5
Currently enrolled in the FVSU Graduate School and Extended Studies
Two (2) years tutoring experience preferred.
Knowledge of the barriers disadvantaged and underrepresented students must overcome
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and proficient with GRE level verbal and math skills
Applicants must exhibit a very high level of emotional maturity to be considered for this position
- Evening/night/weekend work required
- Climate controlled environment
The work requires minor physical exertion such as short periods of standing, walking long distances, some recurring bending, crouching, stooping, stretching, reaching, or similar activities. Job may require recurring lifting of lightweight objects with infrequent bending or stooping alternating with the lighter activities.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.