San Mateo County Community College District
Posting Number: 2014591S
Department: Cosmetology CSM (DEPT)
Location: College of San Mateo
Position Number: TBD
Percentage of Full Time: 100%
Months per Year: 12
Salary Range: $58,884 (annual) - $75,252 (annual)
Position Type: Staff & Admin
San Mateo County Community College District values the principles of diversity and equity. We provide students with a rich and dynamic learning experience that embraces differences — emphasizing collaboration and engaging students in and out of the classroom, encouraging them to realize their goals, and to become global citizens and socially responsible leaders.
The Cosmetology Aide includes paraprofessional work that involves providing instructional and related support services to students in a community college cosmetology program. Under general supervision, the Cosmetology Aide is responsible for providing input into the development and implementation of cosmetology curriculum, tutoring, teaching and demonstrating laboratory and classroom procedures, and conferring with faculty regarding student progress. Public contact is extensive, primarily including students and staff, for the purpose of exchanging instructional and related information. A high degree of independent judgment and creativity are required within the scope of the classification to analyze and interpret data, and resolve frequent minor problems that arise. Consequences of errors in judgment can be costly in employee time and student learning progress. A Cosmetology Aide can direct the work of student assistants.
The ideal candidate will share the College's commitment to educating a racially and socioeconomically diverse student population. The College, which was designated as a Hispanic Serving Institution in 2014, is part of the San Mateo County Community College District, which currently enrolls approximately 23,000 students, the majority of whom are from minoritized populations. Of the students at College of San Mateo, 3.0% are African-American, 0.1% are American Indian, 19.8% are Asian, 6.8% are Filipino, 19.9% are Latinx, 2.2% are Pacific Islander, 28.1% are White, and 17.6% are Multi-Ethnic. The successful candidate will be an equity-minded individual ready to collaborate with staff, faculty and administrators who are also committed to closing equity gaps. The District's “Students First” Strategic Plan is focused on “Student Success, Equity and Social Justice.” (See: https://www.smccd.edu/strategicplanning/SMCCCD%20Strategic%20Plan%20Brochure.pdf).
• An Associate of Arts degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience
• Certified and licensed to practice Cosmetology in the State of California
• Successful experience of increasing responsibility in a cosmetology related field of employment, preferably a salon, cosmetology lab, or other cosmetology service that has included tutoring and/or non-credentialed teaching
• Working knowledge of cosmetology techniques, procedures, equipment, supplies, materials, and safety procedures
• Experience in teaching, coaching or mentoring people in a learning environment
• Demonstrated cultural competence, sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, faculty, and staff
• Experience with the use of a variety of computer software to compose and prepare correspondence, reports, presentations, and other written materials
• Demonstrated skill in written and oral communication, including public speaking
• Ability to work as part of a customer service team
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Knowledge of the procedures, techniques, equipment, and materials used in beauty salons and similar services
2. Knowledge of the safety procedures and policies related to storage, use, and disposal of cosmetology products, materials, and equipment
3. Skill in teaching and/or tutoring individuals and groups in cosmetology procedures, policies, equipment, materials, safety, salon operations, and other related topics
4. Skill in oral communication, including public speaking
5. Skill in written communication
6. Skill in respectful, tactful and sensitive interactions with people who are diverse in their academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds
7. Skill in researching and compiling data for current cosmetology information and development of instructional materials
8. Ability to work effectively as part of a customer-service team
9. Skill in the use of the Microsoft Office Suite software to prepare reports, spreadsheets, correspondence and presentations as needed
Preferred Qualifications: • Comfortable in a supportive role to instructors with a department with team teaching structure • Strong customer service and sales skills as demonstrated in a salon setting
Benefits: Benefits include paid holidays, vacation and sick leave. The District pays all or a portion of monthly medical plan premiums (depending on the coverage) and pays all of the monthly dental and vision plan premiums for employees and eligible dependents. Additional paid benefits include life insurance, salary continuance insurance, and an Employee Assistance Program. Classified employees participate in the Public Employees’ Retirement System, a defined-benefit retirement plan through the State of California. Optional tax-deferred 403(b) and 457 retirement plans are also available.
First Review Date: 05/28/2018
Open Until Filled: Yes
To apply, visit: https://jobs.smccd.edu/
The San Mateo County Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer that seeks to employ individuals who represent the rich diversity of cultures, language groups, and abilities of its surrounding communities.