Clinical Laboratory Technologist, Blood Bank
Clinical Laboratory Technologist, Blood Bank-1703128
At Stony Brook Medicine, a TH Clinical Laboratory Technologist is a valuable member of our team, who provides clinical services to our patient population.
Qualified candidates will demonstrate superior patient care and possess outstanding communication skills while adhering to our high standard of excellence.
Duties of a TH Clinical Laboratory Technologist in the Blood Bank Department may include the following but are not limited to:
The individual filing this position will perform Blood Bank Technologist duties including but not limited to: performance of routine test analysis, adhere to all departmental policies and protocols, and apply detailed specialized knowledge of scientific principles and their application to perform advanced level testing in general and specific areas in Blood Bank. They must also perform and understand all quality control procedures, review the accuracy of final test reports, recognize routine laboratory problems and identifies the cause, and maintain up to date overall knowledge of this professional field as required to perform normal duties described in this job description. Under the general supervision of the department supervisory staff, the TH Clinical Lab Tech IV, III, II, will have responsibilities for the following duties.
• Will have line responsibility for performance of routine test analysis, must be able to work effectively in the Blood Bank environment and adhere to all departmental policies and protocols.
• Must apply detailed specialized knowledge of scientific principles and their application to perform advanced level testing in general and specific areas in the Blood Bank. This specialized responsibility is inclusive of identification of atypical serum antibodies, analysis of incompatibility, transfusion reaction studies, among others including the generating of all necessary reports for above testing. TH Clinical Lab Tech IV, III, II
• Performs and understands all quality control procedures as required by departmental protocols. Identifies and insures that all reagents and equipment utilized are within set quality control standards. TH Clinical Lab Tech IV, III, II
• Reviews the accuracy of final reports, verifying computer print-outs where applicable. Implements new test procedures or new equipment under the direction of the supervisor. TH Clinical Lab Tech II
• Recognizes routine laboratory problems and identifies the cause. Where applicable would take corrective action to remedy such problems through the use of proper laboratory protocol or minor routine equipment repair and adjustments, and bring such problems to the attention of the supervisor. TH Clinical Lab Tech III, II
• Assists the supervising staff in teaching medical technology students and others in both laboratory theory and technique. TH Clinical Lab Tech II
• Maintains up-to-date overall knowledge of this professional field as required to perform normal duties described in this job description. TH Clinical Lab Tech IV, III, II
• Must have a general knowledge of all standards and regulations that apply specifically to this job position as issued by FDA, NYS Department of Health and other applicable accreditation and regulatory authorities. TH Clinical Lab Tech IV, III, II
• Maintains and conducts safe laboratory practices as required by the NYS Department of Health and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration. TH Clinical Lab Tech IV, III, II
• Responsible for the complete understanding and utilization of computer systems applicable to the department including basic maintenance and troubleshooting procedures that are conducted on a day to day basis. TH Clinical Lab Tech IV, III, II.
• May be required to fill in for the shift supervisor during his/her absence. The Clinical Lab Tech II must be thoroughly familiar with all administrative policies and procedures in addition to all technical procedures. Application of all these policies must be completely understood to accomplish this substitute supervisory function. TH Clinical Lab Tech II.
• Under the direction of the shift supervisor, is responsible for the performance of all emergency test procedures required in life threatening situations. Must be able to perform these functions independently in the absence of the supervisor and must be able to independently initiate the Blood Bank Disaster plan in the event of a community disaster and in the absence of the supervisor. TH Clinical Lab Tech IV, III, II
Required Qualifications: : (SL-1) Clinical Laboratory Technologist: NYS License as a Clinical Laboratory Technologist or documented eligibility and 0-2 years of demonstrated relevant clinical laboratory experience. (SL-2) NYS License as a Clinical Laboratory Technologist or documented eligibility and 2-5 years of demonstrated relevant clinical laboratory experience. (SL-3) NYS License as a Clinical Laboratory Technologist or documented eligibility and a Bachelor of Science degree in Medical Technology/Biological or Life Sciences with a minimum of five years or more of demonstrated relevant clinical laboratory experience or NYS License as a Clinical Laboratory Technologist or documented eligibility with a minimum of eight years of demonstrated relevant clinical laboratory experience.
Preferred Qualifications: MT (ASCP) Certification or equivalent preferred additional Blood Bank experience. Working knowledge of Mediware Hemocare and/or HCLL. Experience in automated Blood Bank inclusive of Immucor Galileo/Galileo Echo.
Special Note: Stony Brook Medicine is a smoke free environment. Smoking is strictly prohibited anywhere on campus, including parking lots and outdoor areas on the premises.
All Hospital positions are subject to changes in pass days and shifts as necessary. This position may require the wearing of respiratory protection, which may prohibit the wearing of facial hair.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation. Prior to start date, the selected candidate must meet the following requirements: Successfully complete pre-employment physical examination and obtain medical clearance from Stony Brook Medicine's Employee Health Services (The hiring department will be responsible for any fee incurred for examination), submit (3) written references, and provide a copy of any required New York State license(s)/certificate(s). Please be advised that failure to comply with any of the above requirements could result in a delayed start date and/or revocation of the employment offer.
This function/position has been designated as “essential.” This means that when the Hospital is faced with an institutional emergency, employees in such positions may be required to remain at their work location or to report to work to protect, recover, and continue operations at Stony Brook Medicine, Stony Brook University Hospital and related facilities.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.
The best ideas in medicine start with the best people. At Stony Brook Medicine, our highest calling is to put the power of ideas to work in our patients’ lives. Stony Brook Medicine integrates and elevates all of our health-related initiatives: education, research and patient care. Stony Brook Medicine is Long Island’s premier academic medical center. With 603 beds, we serve as the region’s only tertiary care center and Level 1 Trauma Center, and are home to the Stony Brook Heart Institute, Stony Brook Cancer Center, Stony Brook Children’s Hospital, Stony Brook Neurosciences Institute, and Stony Brook Digestive Disorders Institute. We also encompass Suffolk County’s only Level 4 Regional Perinatal Center, state-designated AIDS Center, state-designated Comprehensive Psychiatric Emergency Program, state-designated Burn Center, the Christopher Pendergast ALS Center of Excellence, and Kidney Transplant Center. It is home of the nation’s first Pediatric Multiple Sclerosis Center.
Stony Brook University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. We are committed to the creation of a diverse and inclusive campus climate. We encourage protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, women and minorities to apply.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE UNIVERSITY HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 632-6161 OR THE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 444-4700.
IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (631) 632-6350. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE UNIVERSITY POLICE WEBSITE AThttp://www.stonybrook.edu/police
Official Job Title: TH Clinical Laboratory Technologist II/III/IV
Job Field: Laboratory
Primary Location: US-NY-Stony Brook
Department/Hiring Area: Blood Bank, Department of Laboratories-Stony Brook University Hospital
Schedule: Part-time Day Shift Saturday/Sunday: 8am-6pmBlood Bank, Department of Laboratories-Stony Brook University Hospital
Posting Start Date: Dec 14, 2017
Posting End Date: Jan 13, 2018, 11:59:00 PM
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Salary Grade: SL3