Pre-Bioengineering Program Manager
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
College of Engineering and Applied Science - Bioengineering
Pre-Bioengineering Program Manager
Position #2956 - Requisition 13476
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The College of Engineering and Applied Science - Bioengineering Department has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) Pre-Bioengineering Program Manager position.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
As Colorado's only public urban research university, the University of Colorado Denver educates a diverse student body through quality academics, ambitious research and creative work, and civic engagement in the city we call home. CU Denver educates more than 15,000 undergraduate and graduate students, and with easy access to the state's cultural, business and civic hub, our students benefit from immersive classroom and real-world experiences, supplemented by unparalleled internship and networking opportunities. As the most diverse research university in Colorado, our campus attracts top students and offers over more than 100 highly rated degree programs through eight schools and colleges, as well as more than 30 online degree programs. Home to over 40 research centers and institutes, CU Denver receives more than $25 million in sponsored research awards annually, allowing us to generate knowledge and create solutions to society's most complex problems. Read CU Denver Quick Facts here
The Pre-bioengineering Program Manager position in the Department of Bioengineering, College of Engineering and Applied Sciences (CEAS) has four main areas of responsibility: student advising, community outreach, program operations, and strategic planning. The Pre-bioengineering Program Manager will oversee the operations of the pre-bioengineering undergraduate degree program and is responsible for planning, organizing and coordinating pre-bioengineering student engagement and community outreach events. The Pre-bioengineering Program Manager will devote approximately 60% effort to advising and operations to prospective and pre-bioengineering students. The remaining 40% effort is devoted to recruitment and marketing the BS-bioengineering degree.
The Pre-bioengineering Program Manager will ensure undergraduate program compliance with all internal/external policies and procedures that govern the Department of Bioengineering, including oversight of the pre-bioengineering program's day-to-day operations. The Pre-bioengineering Program Manager will also be responsible for overseeing the outreach efforts and enrollment processes designed to recruit and retain high quality students into the undergraduate degree program in bioengineering.
The Pre-bioengineering Program Manager will assist the Chair, Director of Finance and Administration (DFA), faculty and other staff with strategic planning for departmental growth and will collaborate with key individuals in the College of Engineering and Applied Science, the School of Medicine, and the University of Colorado Denver as a whole. This position sits on the downtown Denver campus.
Examples of Work Performed:
Advising & Student Services
- Collaborate with student resource offices on both Downtown Denver and Anschutz Medical campuses to develop and oversee the coordination of pre-bioengineering student services within the department.
- Serve on the Bioengineering Undergraduate Affairs Committee (BUAC) and support the BUAC chair as needed.
- Maintain office hours and provide students relevant alternatives for advising support.
- Provide administrative and academic advising support services to pre-bioengineering undergraduate students at all levels. Monitor pre-bioengineers' probation, registration, and students' exceptions to policy requests.
- Track and monitor student success and satisfactory academic progress.
- Oversee advising documents and manage degree audit documentation.
- Update the Undergraduate Handbook annually.
- Create peer-mentoring relationships and programs to include: high school/undergraduate, undergraduate/graduate, and graduate/alumni.
Recruitment, Outreach & Marketing
- Establish and nurture relationships with high schools, colleges and universities, CU Denver diversity/community outreach programs, bioscience companies and organizations to recruit new students into pre-bioengineering.
- Create new K-12 and community college pipeline programs to attract new pre-bioengineering students.
- Assist in the execution of B.O.L.T. camp for high school students offered twice annually.
- Develop and organize dual-campus recruitment and marketing materials for the undergraduate degree program. Coordinate events on the downtown campus to expand student experiential learning opportunities.
- Assist student organizations in the planning of student-run events including but not limited to the Bioengineering Symposium.
- Represent the Department of Bioengineering at various community, educational, professional, and fundraising events.
- Develop new print, digital, and social media campaigns for prospective students and community and industry partners. Manage the department's Facebook and Twitter accounts.
- Manage various admissions processes including pre-bioengineering admissions, intra-university transfer requests, and applications to the major.
- Monitor and achieve student enrollment targets.
- Work with the College of Engineering and Applied Science to overhaul and manage the department's website content.
- Oversee co-curricular and experiential education opportunities on the downtown campus.
- Serve as a dual campus resource for bioengineering students.
- Problem-solve ongoing dual campus student and faculty services, logistics, and requirements.
- Work with Chair, faculty, staff, and industry partners on strategic planning for department growth including the development of new training programs.
- Oversee the day-to day operations of the pre-bioengineering portion of the undergraduate degree program.
- Alongside the Chair and DFA, will be responsible for the growth, assessment, and outcomes of the pre-bioengineering portion of the undergraduate program.
- Act as point of first contact for all pre-bioengineering student affairs.
- Serve as a staff liaison for CU Denver administrative offices, campus programs, and university-wide services relevant to the pre-bioengineering program.
- Track and report pre-bioengineering program data; maintain student files, SSC reports and notes, program documents, correspondence, and reports; contribute to a culture of continuous improvement by exploring and implementing best practices.
- Curriculum Management: monitor pre-bioengineering student registration and assist students as necessary; manage final exam scheduling on downtown campus; adjust enrollment caps in sections as necessary; and build semester schedules with BUAC chair.
- Serve as the Industry Outreach Liaison with the ELC and Career Center.
- Assist in the management of the Undergraduate Program administrative budget as defined by the department's DFA.
- Facilitate downtown badging for pre-bioengineering students and relevant faculty/staff.
- Assist with special events including the biannual Open House, graduation reception, and industry partner events.
- Oversee Undergraduate Program updates for website, ensuring relevant student information is always up-to-date.
- Meet with prospective undergraduate students by phone and in-person.
- Attend department meetings both in person (on the AMC) and by zoom.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position starts at $50,156.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
- Bachelor's Degree in relevant field.
- Extensive, diverse, and progressively responsible experience developing, managing, or delivering programs/services at a college or university.
- Previous experience working in a bioengineering or related STEM program.
- Previous advising experience in higher education.
- Previous marketing or recruitment experience.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution.
- Outstanding customer service skills.
- Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, CU-SIS, SSC, DARS and related student information systems.
- Knowledge of access, advising, and retention services to support student success/degree completion.
- Evidence of culturally competent interpersonal skills.
- Strong communication and presentation skills.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Required Application Materials: To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers and attach: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV/resume 3. List of three to five professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references) Questions should be directed to: Kate Hoch at Kate.Hoch@ucdenver.edu
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees. The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Applications will be accepted until finalists are identified, but preference will be given to complete applications received by May 23, 2018. Those who do not apply by May 23rd may or may not be considered.
Job Category: Academic Services
Primary Location: Denver
Department: D0001 -- Denver Campus - 30214 - ENGR-Bioengineering
Posting Date: May 7, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Kate Hoch
Posting Contact Email: Kate.Hoch@UCDenver.edu
Position Number: 00002956