Senior ETL Developer
University Information Systems (UIS) provides technical services and enterprise applications to the University of Colorado campuses and the Office of the President. UIS is committed to excellence in customer service and technical expertise. Through the development of enterprise applications, UIS supports the University as a whole with systems used by students, faculty, human resources employees, finance employees, and others.
In order to support the university's data warehouse, data integrations, analytics, and business intelligence initiatives, you will be a leader for the university's ETL team and will serve as a subject matter expert in ETL.
You will have the opportunity to participate as CU expands our information management ecosystem to include real-time data warehousing, cloud integrations, and data quality, and as the department works to develop a unified team of data specialists including CU's SOA data integrations and MDM developers. This position reports to the Assistant Director of Data and Business Intelligence and is exempt from the State of Colorado Classified Staff system.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, the following (with weighted percentages):
- ETL architecture, development, testing, documentation and 3rd tier support with data sources such as CU's Student, HCM and SalesForce CRM systems (30%)
- Development tools include IBM DataStage, Oracle Data Integrator (ODI), and SAS
- Development will include occasional work on Perl and Kornshell scripts
- Participation in technology projects and initiatives, designing and developing new data marts and enhancements to existing data marts (30%)
- Leading, advising and coaching team members on data warehouse concepts, best practices, as the Technical Lead on projects and initiatives (20%)
- Administering and tuning the university's installation of IBM DataStage and ODI (10%)
- Continuing education and professional development including attending training and conferences and self-directed learning (10%)
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
To be successful in this position, candidates will need the following:
- Knowledge of ETL Architecture, IBM Data Stage/ODI, Kimball Methodology, and SQL
- Ability to utilize Oracle analytic functions and techniques
- Ability to utilize and understand best practices in regards to SCLC and data warehousing
- Ability to work in a Linux environment with shell scripting
- Ability to document, manage, and test multiple projects at once
- Ability to manage and develop team skills
Who we are:
System Administration, which also houses the Office of the President, is located in the uptown neighborhood of Denver with an office in Broomfield and a few smaller offices located on the campuses. This position is located in Denver. Many of our departments support the educational and research missions of the four University of Colorado campuses. We provide diverse opportunities for professional development, innovation, and collaboration with talented staff and faculty.
The University of Colorado is committed to recruiting and supporting diversity and equality in education and employment. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans.
What we offer:
Salary: The salary range for this position is $90,000 - $97,000.
Benefits: The University of Colorado offers an excellent benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental, Disability, Vision, Life and Wellness
- Retirement: 10% Employer Match
- Paid Time Off
- Tuition Benefit
- ECO Pass
For more information on benefits programs, including eligibility, is available at www.cu.edu/employee-services/.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher education or equivalent experience (experience may be substituted for the educational requirement on a year for year basis).
- 7+ years of experience to include:
- Expert level knowledge of IBM DataStage and/or ODI
- Advanced knowledge of Kimball methodologies including star schema design, and accumulating and periodic snapshots
- Advanced knowledge of SQL, including familiarly with Oracle analytic functions and techniques for tuning large-volume queries
- Commitment SDLC best practices as they relate to data warehousing
- Experience working in a Linux environment and with shell scripting (Perl/Korn)
- Technical Lead experience managing a development team responsible for the design, development and implementation of highly complex programs, scripts, data objects resulting in high quality and performance
- Previous experience in an institution of higher education
- Knowledge of Java and PL/SQL programming
- Experience with PeopleSoft data models including Campus Solutions, Finance and/or HCM version 9.0 or higher
- Experience as an administrator of an ETL or middleware tool (DataStage, ODI, Informatica, OSB, Etc.)
- Experience on one or more projects to implement an ETL or information management tool
Special Instructions to Applicants:For full consideration, completed applications must be received by Monday, May 21, 2018. Those who do not apply by May 21, 2018 may or may not be considered. Reference checking is a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including email addresses, for up to five references as part of the search process for this position. *Please note: All application materials must be submitted through CU Careers; emailed materials will not be considered.*
The University of Colorado is committed to providing a safe and productive learning and living community. To achieve that goal, we conduct background investigations for all final applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial and/or motor vehicle history. The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires a verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:You must attach a cover letter, resume, and list of references to your application as three separate documents. Please ensure you check the "Job Specific Attachments" box next the each document on the "Required Documents" page of the application for the appropriate documents to be attached. For full consideration, please apply by May 21, 2018.
Job Category: Information Technology
Primary Location: Denver
Department: S0001 -- System Administration - 50119 - University Information Systems
Posting Date: May 7, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Lauren Morain
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00696278