The Controller's Office is located within the Resources Management Division of the University of Colorado Colorado Springs. The Resource Management Division also includes Budget and Planning, and Human Resources. Resource Management is a service-oriented organization, which processes financial transactions, generates and monitors reports, provides financial information and decision support, offers training for accounting processes, and assist with policies and procedures. The Division uses PeopleSoft as its financial and human resource software systems. In addition, the Controller's Office works with Colorado Operations Resource Engine (CORE) which is the State system.
The purpose of this position is to provide general accounting and administration support to campus accounting staff. The position will provide accurate, timely, processing of journal entries and reports; record keeping and maintenance of chartfields; review and reconcile accounts; collect, compile, enter, and verify accuracy of data and transactions.
- Assists the Controller, accounting staff, and campus departments by researching, gathering, and compiling data for inquires.
- Run various system reports (Gift Fund, UNP, GAR, etc) for periodic review.
- Run Deficit Report and format it to established guidelines for review.
- Review Deficit and Gift Funds Detail reports, contacting departments as issues arise.
- Review Payroll Suspense accounts, working with Human Resources as issues arise.
- Monitor Unrestricted Net Position balances, contacting departments as issues arise.
- Reconcile General Administration Recharge (GAR) account, making adjustments as needed.
- Post journal entries to the general ledger, as directed.
- Review and clean-up unapproved journal entries with department assistance.
- Assist departments with year-end accruals, posting or reviewing journal entries.
- Calculate and post journal entry for the monthly Extended Studies revenue split.
- Compile and post journal entry for insurance and background charges.
- Set-up and maintain chartfields, including chartfield reorganizations.
- Review and update all campus fiscal roles within PeopleSoft.
- Assist Procurement Service Center (PSC) with stale dated warrants, as needed.
- Prepare year end exhibits for Financial Statements, as assigned.
- Monitor personnel training for those granted temporary access in PeopleSoft Financials.
- Verify compliance with training requirements for personnel listed on gift funds and Electronic Personnel Effort Reporting (ePER).
- Apply payments in PeopleSoft grant module.
- Responsible for overseeing gift card programs and petty cash funds.
- Serve as back-up in the time collection process at month-end.
- Attend Security Coordinators Meetings as a Co-coordinator.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of GAAP.
- Knowledge of finance and accounting principles.
- Knowledge of and ability to use financial and accounting applications specific to CU.
- Knowledge of data mining and analysis tools, techniques and processes.
- Ability to prepare financial statements and reports.
- Ability to perform financial analysis and prepare a report documenting the analysis.
- Ability to process information with high levels of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to use basic office tools such as, Word, e-mail, PowerPoint and Excel.
- Ability to communications effectively with clear and concise reports, policies, procedures, and other written materials.
Salary Range: $42,000.00 - $48,000.00
The University of Colorado, Colorado Springs offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at http://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado is committed to providing a safe and productive learning, living and working community. To assist in achieving this goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial and/or motor vehicle history check.
Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or related field.
1-3 Years on-the-job accounting experience.
Higher education experience.
PeopleSoft and/or Cognos experience.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Position is open until filled. Applications submitted by May 21, 2018 will receive full consideration. Applications submitted through email or surface mail will not be considered. Please apply at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Upon request, please be prepared to provide five professional references (at least two previous/current supervisors), including their email contact information. Official Transcripts will be required upon hire.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Job Category: Finance and Accounting
Primary Location: Colorado Springs
Department: C0001 -- Colorado Springs Campus - 40101 - VCAF-RM-Controller's Office
Posting Date: May 7, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Nick Martinez
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00400564