Media Services Specialist
Reporting to the Executive Director of Information Technology Services, the Media Services Specialist is responsible for ensuring that all classroom media equipment is fully operational, assists faculty in the use of the classroom media. Plans and supports media services for College events, including those that require external services. The Specialist is also responsible for troubleshooting technical problems with media equipment and related computer and/or networking equipment, arranging for repairs, and stocking parts and supplies. This position trains and manages a staff of student workers.
Manage media services, train staff, and ensure accuracy and timely setup of classroom and special event equipment.
Develop and edit complex multimedia presentations using a variety of production and editing equipment/software in media event planning and organization.
Plan, setup and operate media support for major campus events, working with the event sponsor to determine needs and solutions.
Develop a 5-year media technologies plan.
Work with public relations, media and the press, and focus on customer service practices and techniques. Create and maintain positive relationships with all internal and external constituents
Arrange services from vendors as needed to provide additional or alternative support for College events
Develop and monitor Media services budget. Order supplies, replacement parts, and new equipment, arrange for repairs of media equipment, and maintain inventory of over $200,000 of media equipment for campus classrooms, media production and editing facilities, and the pool of equipment used for campus events.
Collaborate with ITS and other College staff for support of instructional uses of electronic media; support of networking (wired/wireless), video streaming and recording; and support in the design, renovation, and upkeep of classroom, lab, and special facilities that involve digital media.
Cross train with other media services support personnel (athletics, theater).
The position requires working evening and weekend hours as necessary for instructional and College special events.
- Some college courses or an Associate’s degree (preferred) from an accredited college or university. 3-5 years of experience with all aspects of presentation quality media and technology
- Experience and knowledge of editing video
- Specific knowledge of Crestron equipment
- Specific knowledge of theatrical stage lighting and sound system support
- Ability to setup a sound reinforcement system, including a sound mixer
- Knowledge of current instructional technologies.
- Knowledge of computer hardware and software programs and databases, and computer languages such as HTML, specifically Microsoft Office applications
- Provide support for Nursing simulation video recording
- Ability to convert VCR tapes to digital media
- Knowledge of networks, communication systems and network topologies
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to organize and manage services at the level of quality required by the College
- Excellent negotiation skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to manage inventory of equipment and supplies—including record-keeping
- Demonstrated knowledge of media equipment, technology, skills, and applications required by the College
- Knowledge of media-related software for presentations and media production, editing, storage, and transmission
- Supervisory experience a must
- Extensive hands on work experience in the field of media services
Hartwick College Information:
An independent, residential liberal arts college enrolling approximately 1,400 full-time undergraduates, Hartwick embraces the teacher-scholar model, with teaching excellence as the first priority, and seeks to recruit, retain and promote a diverse workforce.
Located in the scenic Susquehanna River valley in Oneonta, NY, near the northern foothills of the Catskill Mountains, the College features a Liberal Arts in Practice curriculum and aspires to "be the best at melding liberal arts education with experiential learning."
Hartwick offers health benefits to domestic partners of employees, and prohibits discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation/preference and gender identity/expression. Hartwick is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to broadening “the understanding, awareness, and appreciation of diversity among all members of the Hartwick community.” Women, minorities, and other underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply.
Hartwick College is committed to providing a safe and secure educational environment. Employment at Hartwick College is therefore contingent upon a successful background check on every new employee. Candidates to whom an offer of employment is made will be required to sign a Release of Information Form authorizing the College to conduct a thorough background check.
Hartwick College is committed to a diverse candidate pool, values an inclusive workforce and workplace environment, and wishes to minimize or eliminate the impact of implicit bias during the search and hiring process. To apply, please submit two single pdf copies of your application materials. One of these copies should have any and all reference to your name redacted. The other copy should leave any reference to your name intact. Both copies should be inclusive of the content below.
- cover letter
- Diversity Statement – a statement addressing how past and/or potential contributions to diversity will support Hartwick College’s Diversity Statement (https://www.hartwick.edu/campus-life/intercultural-affairs/diversity-at-hartwick/)
- and the names and contact information for three references (at least one of your references must be from a current and/or previous supervisor)
All materials should be sent electronically to Jarvis McCowin, Coordinator of Inclusion, at firstname.lastname@example.org with [Position Title] in the subject line. Applications may also be mailed to the Office of Human Resources, Hartwick College, P.O. Box 4020, Oneonta, NY 13820 or faxed to 607-431-4329. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
To see an example of a redacted resume, please visit the following (https://www.hartwick.edu/about-us/employment/human-resources/employment-opportunities/staff-positions/redacted-staff/).