Retail Food Service Worker - Frist Campus
Requisition # 2018-8744
Department Campus Dining
Category Food Services and Dining
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
Campus Dining is committed to the success of our students, faculty, staff, alumni, and visitors by nourishing them to be their healthy best while caring for the environment. If you are a chef by profession, love to mentor and teach, are a student at heart, and believe that community engagement happens around food, we'd love to hear from you! We welcome team members who share our passion for serving and caring for our community through exceptional dining experiences. In collaboration with our campus partners, we craft culinary programs that deliver unique memorable experiences. Campus Dining brings together expertise in culinary, wellness, sustainability, procurement and hospitality to develop innovative programs in support of our diverse community. Our award winning food program is based on scientific and evidence-based principles of healthy sustainable menus that are prepared by our culinary team with high-quality ingredients.
We invite you to be part of our dynamic culinary team, grow as an individual and make an impact in a place where people, quality and value mean everything.
The Retail Food Service Worker provides customer service within the parameters of departmental standards with regard for speed of service and customer satisfaction. Responsible for all levels of customer service. Prepares the food requirements of a standard menu with concern for quality, appeal, presentation, sanitation, safety, and cost. Responsible for maintaining the kitchen in a clean, safe and orderly fashion.
- Prepares food items for the menu in accordance with the established portion sizes, quality, and taste as designed.Prepares items as requested by customers.
- Maintains the kitchen, kitchen equipment, food court and related areas in a safe and sanitary condition at all times. Corrects or reports any sanitation hazards.
- Operate cash register, POS terminal, or card reader accurately according to departmental procedures.
- Adheres to the policy of “clean as you go.” Assists in the daily, weekly, and periodic cleaning and maintenance duties.
- Maintains the storage areas, utilizing proper storage techniques, including enforcing a FIFO (first in/first out) policy for all foodstuffs.
- Is familiar with all food preparation procedures as assigned.
- Maintains and enforces the established energy conservation techniques and guidelines.
- Adheres to the policies and procedures of the Department of Campus Dining and Princeton University.
- Assists with production, service, and clean up of special functions on and off campus.
- May perform the duties of a storekeeper or foodservice worker.
- Performs other tasks as directed by University management.
- A high school diploma, GED, or completion of the Excelling at Princeton Program and one year relevant experience as a food service worker or equivalent in culinary training; OR five years relevant experience preferably in a collegiate dining environment.
- Ability to read, write and follow verbal and written instructions.
- Prior dependable work record.
- Knowledge of New Jersey State Health Department rules and regulations.
- Valid driver's license preferred.
Work Schedule Requirements/Information:
- This position is an academic year position (19 pays), 100% duty time.
- Flexibility, late nights, early mornings, weekends, holidays and work outside the unit is required.
- The schedule may be changed due to business needs.
- Good interpersonal skills with ability to take direction and work with others. Skill with customer service and relations.
- Must have the ability to coordinate tasks to meet production deadlines.
- Must be flexible in handling multiple assignments and ability to work in multiple venues.
- Must be able to work rapidly and efficiently during rush periods.
- Must be able to work with a variety of kitchen and service equipment including charbroilers, steam jacket kettles, pressure steamers, ovens, broilers, woks, grills, slicers, choppers, mixers, blenders, frozen dessert machines, various hot and cold beverage dispensers, coffee brewers, espresso/cappuccino machines, flash freezer, steamer/oven, card reader, cash register and various hand tools.
- Must have knowledge of food preparation for a full range of cold foods including salads, fruits and vegetables, deli meats, desserts, and accompaniments; and hot food production including steaming, grilling, frying, baking, pizza making, and dough mixing.
- Must have knowledge of customer service standards.
- Skill in presenting and garnishing food.
- Experience in cashiering and related duties.
- stand or walk up to 2 hours at one time for a total of 6-8 hours per day;
- sit for no more than 2 hours during an 8 hour day, except for cashiers and card checkers who may sit for 2 - 4 hours at one time for a total of 4 - 6 hours per day;
- drive for no more than 30 minutes at one time;
- lift or carry up to 30 pounds in a range of motions from floor to overhead frequently (34 - 66% of the workday);
- lift or carry up to 50 pounds in a range of motions from floor to chest height occasionally (less than 33% of the workday);
- push or pull using forces up to 50 pounds occasionally (less than 33 % of the workday);
- use arms and hands for simple grasping, fine manipulation, pushing or pulling with forces up to 5 pounds continuously (67 - 100% of the workday) and up to 30 pounds frequently (34 - 66% of the workday);
- bend, squat, kneel, climb stairs, reach overhead, lift overhead occasionally (less than 33% of the work day);
- work under a range of temperature conditions (e.g., kitchens, walk-in refrigerators and freezers, etc);
- possess physical agility, full range of motion, and ability to maintain balance.
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
SEU-Service Employees Inter Union
Go to our careers site.