Web & UX Specialist
Web & UX Specialist
Job Number: 78433
Job Code: 4815
Job Grade: H
Web & UX Specialist (User Experience Designer 1) 100% FTE, Non-Exempt, 2-year fixed-term appointment School of Engineering, Management Science & Engineering (Stanford Technology Ventures Program - STVP) SUMMARY: The Stanford Technology Ventures Program (STVP) is the entrepreneurship center of Stanford Engineering, in the department of Management Science & Engineering. With a startup-like culture, STVP is dedicated to accelerating entrepreneurship education through research, teaching, and outreach at Stanford and around the world. Reporting to STVP's Digital Product Manager, the Web & UX Specialist supports the development, testing, user interface design and maintenance of Stanford eCorner, and all other STVP digital sites and experiences. The Specialist will help design and execute site/feature testing programs and assist in the analysis and presentation of user behavior and site performance data. The Specialist will also be responsible for making timely and accurate site updates, proactively seeking out and offering technical guidance to improve systems and experiences, coordinating communication between internal stakeholders and external vendors, and supporting project management activities and process improvements. The ideal candidate is organized, driven, and technically-minded, with an interest in the topics of entrepreneurship and innovation and STVP's mission to develop the entrepreneurial mindset in organizations and individuals around the world. JOB PURPOSE: Under general supervision, assist with defining and designing the functionality and interface of applications with user interfaces; work with users, analysts, software engineers, architects and QA staff to ensure designs aligned with user needs and underlying technology. Create graphic and visual design or work with specialists to merge these into the interface. Ensure compliance with Stanford's online accessibility policies through implementing alternative technologies. CORE DUTIES*:
- Assist with defining, designing and testing the functionality and interface of applications.
- Ensure compliance with Stanford's online accessibility policies through implementing alternative technologies.
- Assist with creating application code to manifest the designs, or work with software engineers to develop them.
- Assist with usability testing on applications during the development lifecycle; refine designs based on the results of testing. May administer testing focus groups.
- Execute and administer user research protocols, understand or contribute personas, identify required tasks and information flows for given systems.
- Implement established information architecture and user interface designs for given systems.
- Gather, monitor and report on metrics and user feedback for issues and opportunities for improvement; liaise with quality assurance and help desk specialists to identify defects in application functionality or design and create strategies for mitigation.
- Contribute to and maintain documentation on design assumptions, application requirements and specifications, business logic, training materials, help text, and release notes.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS: Education & Experience: Bachelor's degree or combination of education and relevant experience. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Requires knowledge of computer system capabilities.
- Hands-on design skills.
- Experience in current Web technologies.
- Understanding of HTML, CSS, wire framing tools and visual design software.
- Knowledge of delivering mobile solutions, responsive design across platforms and devices.
- Knowledge of WC3 (World Wide Web consortium) and related standards, including accessibility.
- Skill in conducting user research, user testing, usability testing and analysis.
- Skill in developing specifications and mockups using UI design tools and/or programming in web application languages.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal, including the ability to bridge functional and technical resources by communicating effectively with individuals of varying systems expertise
- Ability to document business scenarios or requirements and create mockups.
- Proven problem solving and analytical thinking and ability to approach problems logically and systematically.
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks.
- Frequently stand/walk, grasp lightly/fine manipulation, grasp forcefully, and reach/work above shoulders.
- Occasionally sit, twist/bend/stoop/squat.
- Visual acuity including color vision.
- Occasionally work weekends, evenings, holidays, and flexible shifts.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
Applicants are required to upload a cover letter and resume to be considered for this opening. About Stanford University Stanford University, located between San Francisco and San Jose in the heart of California's Silicon Valley, is one of the world's leading teaching and research universities. Since its opening in 1891, Stanford has been dedicated to finding solutions to big challenges and to preparing students for leadership in a complex world. Supporting that mission is a staff of more than 10,000 which is rooted in a culture of excellence and values innovation, collaboration, and life-long learning. To foster the talents and aspirations of our staff, Stanford offers career development programs, competitive pay that reflects market trends and benefits that increase financial stability to promote healthy and fulfilling lives. An award-winning employer, Stanford offers an exceptional setting for professionals looking to advance their careers. Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job. Thank you for your interest!
Location: School of Engineering, California, United States
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.