Associate Director of Annual Giving and Alumni Relations
When Bay Path opened its doors to students in downtown Springfield, MA in 1897, it had a very clear goal: to provide a practical, affordable, and career-oriented education to meet the needs of companies, organizations, and communities. From the beginning, Bay Path prided itself on being entrepreneurial, constantly pushing the boundaries of the academic experience to fit the student. To start them on the road of success. We still do.
Today, that spirit and philosophy is more important than ever in higher education. At Bay Path, it's not just the number and breadth of undergraduate and graduate programs that defines us-and we have many-but it is our ability to connect the classroom to learning to leadership to experience to career that is at the core of what we do best. We know the work that needs to be done.
Bay Path University, an independent and not-for-profit institution, was named Among Fastest Growing Baccalaureate Colleges by the Chronicle of Higher Education Almanac, and is a member of the Women's College Coalition. With a main campus in Longmeadow, MA and four satellite locations, (East Longmeadow, Sturbridge, Concord, Springfield), Bay Path offers undergraduate, graduate (for women and men) degrees, and professional certificates.
We're committed to preparing our students to navigate a constantly changing world. Whether it is one of our innovative academic programs, groundbreaking online learning platform, or through our Women as Empowered Learners and Leaders initiative, we educate our students in ways that will help them to grow, learn to adapt, and always to flourish. Be part of the change.
We invite you to visit our website at www.baypath.edu where you can learn more about Bay Path University.
- Position Code: ADAFAR
- Job Type: Full-time
- Hours: 8:30am-5:00pm, evenings and weekends as required
- Schedule: Monday-Friday, evenings and weekends as required
- Position Location: Longmeadow, MA
Job Summary:The Associate Director of Annual Giving and Alumni Relations is responsible for providing results-driven leadership to increase immediate and long-term support of Bay Path University. The goal of the Annual Fund program for the University is to raise unrestricted funds for operations, scholarships, and other purposes as determined by the University's strategic plan. The Associate Director's primary responsibilities will be to create and execute comprehensive, multi-year annual giving, strategic, and alumni relations plans that will result in substantial revenue growth. The Associate Director will partner with the Development staff to identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward annual gifts from alumni, parents, faculty, staff and friends, including personal solicitation, telemarketing, and direct mail. Successful leadership will result in engagement of new donors, increased participation of all constituents (including alumni), and yearly revenue growth in unrestricted gifts. The Associate Director will also manage a personal portfolio of donors and work closely with the Alumni and Donor Engagement Manager.
- Plan, develop, and implement a strategic Annual Giving Program as part of the overall fundraising strategy within the Development Office.
- Create/collaborate on key messaging and communications media, including but not limited to direct mail and social media outreach.
- Monitor and evaluate program effectiveness and make recommendations for continued development and improvement.
- Determine the efficiency and value of Phone-a-Thons and other fundraising techniques when setting goals and assessing expenses and revenue from all fundraising operations.
- Provide leadership to the entire Development Office related to annual giving strategies, tactics, and progress toward goals.
- Effectively supervise the Alumni and Donor Engagement Manager.
- Supervise and work closely with the Alumni and Donor Engagement Manager to develop and implement strategies to encourage alumni giving.
- Collaborate with the Alumni and Donor Engagement Manager on the planning and implementation of alumni events and associated solicitation strategies, including Alumni Reunion, Grad Fest, Strawberries and Champagne receptions, Commencement, and other alumni receptions and networking events.
- Foster positive relationships with alumni, friends, and across campus by initiating events that provide education opportunities and social interaction among University supporters. Identify and cultivate alumni and friends in key positions to build support for the University and its mission.
- Use development database (Jenzabar) and other software to retrieve data and perform comprehensive analysis related to all aspects of the annual fund. Use statistics to assess results and trends, to evaluate current programs, and to make recommendations for program changes.
- Ensure open communication with Leadership Giving Officers and the Vice President regarding contact of potential donors, as well as manage a portfolio of prospects.
- Develop face-to-face cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies for annual donors identified through the annual giving pipeline.
- Work in partnership with the Office of Marketing and Communications to ensure brand attributes and messaging is incorporated in annual giving marketing and materials. Collaborate on scheduling and publication of Bay Pathway and other written materials as needed.
- Oversee the acknowledgment and recognition of all annual fund gifts, including the Annual Report to donors.
- Develop and implement a regular plan of reporting Annual Fund progress to the Vice President of Development, Development Office, Leadership Team, Board of Trustees, and University.
- Collaborate with the Special Events Manager and Development Staff on other events such as the President's Gala.
- Comply with all Bay Path University policies and procedures including but not limited to solicitation and acceptance of gifts, alumni policies and naming policies.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Participate in department meetings, University committees, and professional development programs as required.
- Responsible for all other duties as assigned by the University.
This list of essential job functions and other responsibilities is representative of those duties and responsibilities that are required of this position. However, the list is not to be considered as all-inclusive. A supervisor or director may assign other duties and/or other duties at alternate locations to meet mission requirements of the University and cooperation of all personnel is expected to carry out the mission.
- Supervise the Alumni and Donor Engagement Manager.
- A Bachelor's degree is required; Master's degree preferred.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible development experience, preferably in higher education fundraising, including a strong documented record of gift solicitation and volunteer management.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the theories, principles, and practices of fundraising for higher education.
- Demonstrated ability to design, implement and evaluate a comprehensive program for annual gifts, establishing goals and objectives that translate into annual operating plans and appropriate staff assignments.
- Experience with strategic and annual planning, project management and process improvement efforts is essential.
- Analytic and data mining skills are preferred, including an understanding of segmentation and new media marketing.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite programs; working knowledge of SCAN and Jenzabar helpful.
- Valid driver's license.
- Must successfully pass the online Safe Driving Course and driving record check at time of hire and annually thereafter.
- Must successfully pass safe driving course within 30-days of employment.
- If you operate a University owned, leased or personal vehicle at any time while performing your duties you must follow all policies and procedures outlined in the Operations Manual. You must have a valid driver's license and must successfully pass the online safe Driving Course and driving record check at time of hire and annually thereafter. Additionally, you must report any driving offense, on or off company time, which causes a loss, suspension, or any other change in your license status. You must report this change within one business day of the offense. You can report this change to the Human Resource Department or your direct supervisor. Failure to do so can lead to disciplinary action, up to and including terminations.
- Ability to adhere to University policies and procedures.
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion.
- Should be committed to a culture of diversity, respect and inclusion; demonstrated ability to build working relationships with people having a wide variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences different from ones' own.
- General knowledge of the University's mission, purpose, and goals and the role this position plays in achieving those goals.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Bay Path University is a diverse community devoted to proactively nurturing a campus-wide culture that promotes and ensures respect, inclusion and safety for all members regardless of race, color, national origin, age, gender, religion, sexual orientation and gender identity, socio-economic background, or physical ability. We are one University that opens our hearts and minds to conversations, to learning and to creating a community that is welcoming of all. Regardless of position, it is expected that each employee will embrace this commitment and demonstrate an attitude of respect toward and acceptance of all members of our community.
Bay Path University will become a smoke- and tobacco-free community as of July 1, 2018.
All offers of employment are contingent on satisfactory background checking.
Applicants for this position should attach a cover letter resume / curriculum vitae, the contact information for four (4) professional, work related references and any other relevant information pertaining to this position and your candidacy. Please apply online. Faxes and emails will not be accepted.
An Equal Opportunity Employer, Bay Path University is committed to fostering diversity in its student body, faculty, and staff.