Media Relations Specialist
The media relations specialist promotes clinical news and initiatives from The University of Toledo Medical Center and affiliated clinics and academic and research news and initiatives from The University of Toledo, with a focus on the College of Medicine and Life Sciences, College of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, College of Nursing and College of Health and Human Services.
H/She serves as a liaison between The University of Toledo's clinical and health-related academic operations and local, regional and national media, periodically speaking on behalf of the institution and dealing publicly with sensitive university issues.
The media relations specialist interacts regularly with clinical administrators, physicians, clinicians, patients, researchers and learners. S/he also interacts regularly with academic leaders, faculty members and students across the health sciences to share the University's research and pedagogy activities to promote UT's commitment to the creation of new knowledge and the translation of science into clinical treatments.
Strong writing and interpersonal skills are required. As member of the University Marketing and Communications team, the individual will research and write news releases and internal communications stories, as well as provide copy for digital media and marketing materials. H/She will manage multiple projects simultaneously and engage a variety of stakeholders.
- Bachelor's degree in communications, journalism, marketing, business, health care, or related field
- Previous experience as a reporter, public relations officer, communications specialist or related career (3?5 years).
Communication and other skills:
- Strong writing, storytelling, editing and proofreading skills, including knowledge of and ability to adhere to Associated Press and University style guidelines.
- A high degree of professionalism and strong work ethic coupled with a sense of responsibility and integrity required.
- Experience working in the health care industry is preferred.
- Strong verbal communication skills and the ability to speak on behalf of the institution.
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive materials as required.
- High proficiency in project management, attention to detail, prioritization of work and organizational skills required.
- Ability to work under minimal supervision, tight time constraints and periodic high volume circumstances.
-Effective management of complex initiatives with multiple stakeholders.
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse range of individuals and as part of a team.
- Ability to think strategically and articulate positions.
- Experience with Microsoft Office programs and email.