Assistant Director of Athletic Communications
Assistant Director of Athletic Communications
Under general supervision of the Director of Athletic Communications and in conjunction with the goals and vision of the Director of Athletics, develops and directs an athletic communications program that successfully promotes ASU athletes, coaches, and athletics in all appropriate venues and that increases both public participation in and local, state and national recognition of Rams and Rambelles athletics. Assists with the supervision of the athletic communications assistant, graduate assistant, student-assistant and any volunteer assistants that work in the office. Coordinate and direct to ensure proper home event coverage with regards to all aspects of athletics communications.
Typical Duties/Job Duties
1. Promotes ASU athletes, coaches and sports through a variety of media, advertising, promotional, public relations and marketing strategies.
2. Writes and disseminates news and feature articles on ASU athletic programs, events, athletes and coaches.
3. Promotes positive media relations with local, state and national news organizations and coordinates coach and student-athlete appearances with media.
4. Shoots, edits and produces video footage, creates highlight packages, conducts pre- and post-event interviews, utilizes knowledge of video streaming.
5. Effectively uses social media, including Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, to promote ASU athletics.
6. Monitors and updates angelosports.com website with timely and accurate information, including game accounts, features, announcements and news.
7. Oversees preparation of athletic media guides, publications, brochures and newsletters.
8. Supports needs of ASU Magazine with story ideas, photo possibilities and finished features.
9. Supports athletic communication strategies under guidance of Director of Athletic Communications and helps manage graduate/student assistants.
10. Oversees game management, including set up, statistical reporting to meet NCAA and LSC requirements, including organization and coordination of press box and media area activities.
11. Develops and oversees public service and in-game announcements for promotions.
12. Compiles statistical and historical information on individual athletes and teams; prepares information and reports for the NCAA and LSC.
13. Prepares and updates external calendars of athletic events and maintains internal calendar to meet deadlines for media guides and other publications.
14. Works with Director of Athletics and ticket office to promote ticket sales, special events and promotions.
15. Supports the Director of Athletics in implementing marketing strategies.
16. Supports the Office of Development in efforts to raise funds and monetary support for ASU Athletics.
17. Travels with ASU athletic teams when necessary and handles related media relations on the road.
18. Works with Director of Athletics Communications to nominate athletes for academic and athletic honors, scholarships and awards in conjunction with coaches.
19. Assists in planning and execution of luncheons, banquets, award ceremonies, etc.
20. Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Knowledge of communications, journalism and Web, news and feature writing.
2. Knowledge of print, broadcast and Web communications principles and strategies.
3. Knowledge of media relations practices.
4. Knowledge of sports and athletic programs.
5. Knowledge of basic sports statistical applications.
6. Knowledge of marketing and promotional principles and strategies.
7. Ability to implement university policies, procedures, and practices.
8. Ability to promote ASU athletics through multiple media, marketing, advertising, public relations and promotional strategies.
9. Ability to write interesting and accurate news articles, using proper grammar and spelling.
10. Ability to collect, compile and report sports data and information.
11. Ability to work effectively with a wide variety of individuals, including news media representatives, coaches, faculty, athletes, and others.
12. Ability to operate a personal computer keyboard and/or computer terminal for data analysis and compilation, and for the preparation of feature articles, reports, and other materials.
13. Skills in oral and written communications.
14. Skills in interpersonal relations.
Bachelor's Degrees from a regionally accredited university or college in journalism, communications, marketing, public relations, advertising, or a closely related field is required. Two years experience as a student assistant, graduate assistant or professional is required. Previous experience in sports marketing is a plus, though it is not required.
A master's degree from a regionally accredited university or college in a related field is preferred. Four years of experience in sports information, communications, marketing or public relations is preferred.
This position requires prolonged periods of sitting, and intermittent standing, walking, reaching, bending and grasping. Basic manual dexterity and good hand-eye coordination are also necessary. Incumbent works both in and outdoors, and has periodic exposure to dust, pollen, heat, cold, and inclement weather.
Angelo State University is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to promoting and ensuring equal employment opportunity for all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Angelo State University is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to ensure equal access to employment opportunities for qualified individuals with disabilities. We are committed to ensuring that a qualified individual with a disability has the same rights and privileges in employment as non-disabled employees. If an accommodation is requested for the job application process, please contact our office at (325) 942-2168 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.