Senior Postdoctoral Associate
Senior Postdoctoral Associate-1800321
Fulfilled all requirements for PhD or foreign equivalent in Theoretical Physics or closely related field by December 1, 218. Three (3) years of research experience in Theoretical Physics or closely related field. Preferred Qualifications:
PhD in Physics. Brief Description of Duties:
The Senior Postdoctoral Associate will report to Professor George Sternman, Director of the C.N. Yang Institute for Theoretical Physics (ITP) at the University of Stony Brook. The incumbent will conduct research and ensure that all experiments are appropriately conducted following the policies and procedures of Stony Brook University.
- Will independently design and develop research, goal and methods. Conduct research in the field of Senior Postdoctoral Associate's choice in theoretical physics, including elementary particle physics, gauge field theory, statistical mechanics, supersymmetry, superstring theory, supergravity or related subjects.
- Collaborate with senior members of the ITP working in the same field as well as in other educational institutes.
- Provide, as appropriate, advise and mentorship to graduate students and other junior research personnel in various research methods.
- May present in seminars based on the Senior Postdoctoral Associate's work during academic year. Occasional travel to present research results or collaborate on institute-sponsored research.
- Other duties as assigned.
Stony Brook University is 100% tobacco-free as of January 1, 2016. See our policy and learn more at stonybrook.edu/tobaccofree.
About Stony Brook: Stony Brook University, home to many highly ranked graduate research programs, is located 60 miles from New York City on Long Island's scenic North Shore. Our 1,100-acre campus is home to 24,000 undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral students and more than 13,500 faculty and staff, including those employed at Stony Brook Medicine, Suffolk County's only academic medical center and tertiary care provider. The University is a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities and co-manager of nearby Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL), a multidisciplinary research laboratory supporting world class scientific programs utilizing state-of-the-art facilities such as the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider, the National Synchrotron Light Source, and the Center for Functional Nanomaterials, and the New York Blue IBM BG/L+P supercomputer, owned by Stony Brook and managed by BNL. Stony Brook is a partner in managing the Laboratory for the Department of Energy, and is the largest institutional scientific user of BNL facilities. As such, many opportunities exist for collaborative research, and in some cases, joint appointments can be arranged.
Equal Opportunity Employer, females, minorities, disabled, veterans. If you need a disability related accommodation, please call the University Human Resource Services Department at (631) 632- 6161 or the University Hospital Human Resources Department at (631) 444-4700. In accordance with the Title II Crime Awareness and Security Act, a copy of our crime statistics is available upon request by calling (631) 632- 6350. It can also be viewed on line at the University Police website at http://www.stonybrook.edu/police.
Official Job Title: Senior Postdoctoral Associate
Job Field: Post Doctoral
Primary Location: US-NY-Stony Brook
Department/Hiring Area: C. N. Yang Institute for Theoretical Physics-The Research Foundation for The State University of New York at Stony Brook
Schedule: Full-time Day Shift 9:00 am - 5:00 pmC. N. Yang Institute for Theoretical Physics-The Research Foundation for The State University of New York at Stony Brook
Posting Start Date: May 4, 2018
Posting End Date: May 18, 2018, 11:59:00 PM
Salary Grade: E89