Assistant Dean of Students
Assistant Dean of Students
DEPARTMENT: DEAN OF STUDENTS OFFICE
DIVISION: STUDENT AFFAIRS
REPORTS TO: DEAN OF STUDENTS
JOB SUMMARY: Serves as the College’s chief student conduct officer, Deputy Title IX Coordinator for Students, and Director of Greek Life.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Student Conduct System:
- Coordinate and supervise the campus Student Conduct System, including serving as the chief conduct officer.
- Chair all College Conduct Board and Administrative Board hearings.
- Advise Student Conduct Panel hearings.
- Provide training and supervision to all Student Conduct Council members and Informal Resolution meeting officers.
- Monitor compliance with conduct sanctions and conducts probation follow up meetings.
- Responsible for the maintenance and security of all conduct records.
- Generate regular reports on student conduct issues including semester and annual conduct reports and assists the Director of Campus Safety with the College’s annual Clery report.
- Coordinate the annual review and publication of the Roanoke College Student Conduct Code.
- Oversee elections for the Student Conduct Council.
- Title IX:
- Serve as the College’s Deputy Title IX Coordinator for Students.
- Coordinate sexual misconduct awareness training for the student body.
- Assist in the selection and training of Title Investigators and Sexual Misconduct Hearing Panel members.
- Oversee the prompt, fair and impartial investigation of student sexual misconduct allegations.
- Chair student Sexual Misconduct Panel hearings.
- Greek Life:
- Oversee the campus Greek system.
- Advise Inter-Fraternity and Panhellenic Councils.
- Manage new member recruitment.
- Coordinate fraternity and sorority inter-organizational communication.
- Serve as the primary representative of the college’s Greek system to external constituencies (parents, alumni, community leaders, etc.).
- Additional Duties:
- Assist in the supervision of the Administrative Specialist for the Dean of Students Office and DSO student assistants.
- Provide guidance and supervision to the Associate Director and Assistant Directors of Residence Life & Housing with respect to their conduct roles.
- Serve as a member of the College’s Care Team.
- Other duties as assigned by the Dean of Students.
Education & Experience:
- Required - Master’s degree in Student Development, Higher Education or related field (ex. juris doctorate) and a minimum of three years (5 years preferred), professional experience in student conduct, Title IX, and Greek life administration at the higher education level required.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and conflict resolution techniques.
- Proven ability to work across organizational divisions and departments to promote institutional goals among faculty, staff and students.