Digital Learning Librarian
Under the general supervision of the Chair of Library Faculty and with routine day-to-day collaboration with the Technical Services and Public Service departments, The Digital Learning Librarian researches, assesses and develops innovative and fully accessible online tools and platforms that support the Libraries' efforts in reference provision, student and faculty instruction, and campus outreach. The ideal candidate approaches research and learning technologies from a forward looking perspective, tailoring effective solutions that address the unique and evolving research needs of Pratt's diverse and creative community. The Digital Learning Librarian will be an excellent communicator who thrives in an environment that values an iterative and incremental approach to library resource development. Persons with experience and scholarship directly related to helping Pratt achieve the goals outlined in our Diversity Strategic Plan are encouraged to apply.
The Digital Learning Librarian is a 12-month per year, full-time, tenure-track faculty position at the Assistant Professor rank. Library faculty have academic departmental liaison responsibilities that include collection development and management, information literacy instruction, and outreach. Located on Pratt's historic 25-acre campus in the culturally diverse neighborhood of Clinton Hill, Brooklyn, Pratt recognizes the strength that stems from a diversity of perspectives, ideas, backgrounds, approaches, and experiences. Together, we aspire to be a place that always welcomes and encourages individuals of all backgrounds to contribute and be part of Pratt culture.
Provide and pioneer experimental and innovative approaches to virtual and in-person library instruction and reference services.
- In collaboration with the Public Services Department and Library Systems Administrator research, develop, and assess online reference services.
- In collaboration with the Public Services Department, Library Faculty and the Library Systems Administrator, research, develop, and assess online tutorials, research guides, and other teaching technologies.
- Serve as Library representative in Learning Management System discussions and planning meetings.
- Develop and present workshops on new research related technologies for the Pratt community, including Library faculty and staff.
Works collaboratively in maintaining a functional, attractive and usable website.
- Leads efforts in the design of the Libraries' webspace; work includes content creation and user experience design.
- Stays abreast of trends in instructional technologies, research support tools, and online publishing and scholarship.
- Develop and maintain internal and external communication, statistical, and scheduling tools.
- In close collaboration with the Library Systems Administrator and Electronic Resources Librarian works to enhance usability and accessibility of online library resources.
The Libraries & The Institute
Perform faculty related service within the Libraries and for the Institute.
- Participate in providing reference service and library instruction to Pratt Institute students, faculty, and staff.
- Serve on Institute and Library committees.
- Participate in outreach efforts to assigned liaison areas.
- Manage and develop library collection for assigned subject areas.
- Develop activities, outreach tools, or programs that support social justice, equity, and diversity.
- Meet requirements for promotion and tenure.
- Perform other duties and special projects as assigned.
Experience & Qualifications
- ALA accredited Master's Degree in Library Science or equivalent.
- 3 years library experience.
- Demonstrated experience creating online instructional resources such as tutorials and research guides.
- Experience with content management software such as Drupal, Expression Engine and WordPress.
Essential Knowledge and Skills
- Working knowledge of best practices in web and instructional design.
- Demonstrated knowledge of online learning environments and contemporary research practice.
- Familiarity with technologies and standards for creating accessible online reference and instructional support tools.
- Demonstrated fluency with current library pedagogy.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the principles of diversity and inclusion; ability to work well with diverse populations; and demonstrated level of cultural competence.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to set and modify work priorities independently with a high degree of initiative.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a team.
Annual salary range is to $65,000, commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Please submit your cover letter, CV, and the names and contact information for three professional references via our internal application site at https://tinyurl.com/ycfx5pgq
PRATT INSTITUTE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND RECOGNIZES AND VALUES THE BENEFITS OF A DIVERSE WORKFORCE.